A&P Opinions on Nikon D40?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dano, Mar 23, 2007.

1. dano

dano OT Supporter

No I'm not buying one, I've already got myself a XTi.

I work in the photo lab at a drug store and a customer that is one of our regulars brought in her D40 and asked me to show her how to use the camera since she has no idea how to work with changing the aperature and shutter speed. I played with it for a little bit and my first impression was the pictures aren't all that detailed. She wants to shoot dog shows, right now just for fun but down the road perhaps for a little extra sidecash. She also got a 70-200. My impression is that the camera won't be adequate enough for detail from a distance with only 6 MP, but it could just be me.

The other thing that pissed me off was that once you took a picture the LCD screen wouldn't come back on, and the LCD screen stays on when looking through the viewfinder. I'm fairly sure there's some option to fix the first complaint but probably not the second.

Since I've only ever dealt with Canon's, I'm hardly one to tell her if this camera is worth keeping or not. She has a 10-day trial period on it and I told her I'd do a little research on the camera, who better to ask than OTAP? :mamoru:

Any help is mucho appreciated guys.

2. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

sheesh the only 6 megapixel argument again..I believe we just went through in the main forum.

3. dano

dano OT Supporter

She had some pics of her cats and I have one on display at work of my dog, and the difference in the fine hairs between the two is extremely obvious.

For general what-not shooting, 5 6 or 10 who cares. But her main focus is going to be dog shows, I feel the detail will come into play.

4. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

It's not a mp issue. Was it done inside, with low light? If shutter was dragged out, some camera shake might've been there. Thus, sharp images not found.

http://bythom.com/d40review.htm

It has plenty of resolution power -- look at the pictures at the bottom. You can see shingles in the roof!

More user error then anything else.

5. dano

dano OT Supporter

It looked like she took them in her living room during the daytime. The overall lighting and clarity was there, but it just didn't have superb detail.

She was also shooting in auto mode, which we all know sucks. That's why she brought the camera in, so I could ween her off auto and start using manual.

Do you think that camera is cut out for her intended purposes?

6. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

Easily. Her limitations at this point are her skillset and possibly her lens. She needs to work on those to get the fine detail she's looking for.

Inside, even with daytime, would mean slower shutter speeds. It's very possible there was camera shake there.

7. ej25power

ej25power OT Supporter

What lens is she using? IMO, that will be one of the biggest factors.

The D40 will be adequate, but she will be severely limited to what lenses she can use.

8. dano

dano OT Supporter

She said she almost picked up an XT instead, but went with the D40 because it was cheaper. If you had a choice, which you would pick? She can still get the XT if she wants to because of the 10-day trial thing. I refuse to answer that question myself since I'm so partial to Canon stuff.

9. dano

dano OT Supporter

It was the kit lens, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6. That's the same lens (well not Nikon obviously) that's on my XTi. I felt the two pictures were a fair comparison.

10. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

I maintain that 95% of her problem is user error. 5% is lens. Both Nikon & Canon gear can take awesome pictures. The only adv with more MPs at this point, is the ability to have a *bigger* picture. Which means better for cropping, or blowing up huge pictures. Not more detail.

11. dano

dano OT Supporter

And like I said, down the line she might start selling some of her work from the dog shows. I just don't want to tell her "Yeah 6 MP is enough" and then when she wants to start blowing pics up for people you can tell the quality isn't there.

I'm not defending that a 10 MP is the shit or anything, I just honestly want to know if 6 will cover her purposes all the way around.

12. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

Oh, my bad.

I've had my pictures blown up to 20x30 before, from my 6.1MP D70, and there was no visble pixelation that I could tell. How big is she printing?

13. dano

dano OT Supporter

Probably no bigger than 8x10's, who knows. I didn't ask too much about it, but I asked her if she was shooting them for fun or profit.

Sounds like the camera will be fine. I basically got the response I wanted. If the first 3 posts said "The D40 is a piece of shit" that would have been enough of a response too.

14. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

its pretty much a lens issue, the 18-55 is a piece of shit, if she's shooting dog things and is on a budget, I highly recommend she get the tamron 17-50 or the 28-75

15. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

The D40 doesn't have an inbody motor, but I doubt she'll even miss it. She just has to make sure the lenses she buys do have a motor in them.

16. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

ohh right..ignore my suggestion then, I forgot those lenses dont work with it

17. MTech

MTech New Member

I'd avoid the 40 like th eplague due to being so limited on lenses.

18. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

D40 + Sb-400 = p&s replacement ftw

19. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

I think that she should try to find a D50. It's discontinued, but it's a pretty good camera. Or a D70, non-s. Pretty cheap too. I'd rather either over the D40, or D40x for that matter.

20. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

I still wanna get a D40 for myself..most of the lenses I use are Af-s so its not too big of a problem and ive been wanting to play with it for quite a while.

21. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

D70 & D50 have 2nd/3rd generation image processing engine, even tho it's all the same Sony sensor...the D40, produces the best pictures out of all those camera...it also produces the least noise at high ISO. Makes me really want to replace my D70. I hate the lack of in-body AF motor tho...

22. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

I have NO problem with quality of pix my D40 takes. I dont miss the motor either. Tell her to keep it and learn how to use it.

23. Dan-blackline

Dan-blackline Registered Sex Offender

You cannot be serious in saying that 6mp isn't enough for anything apart from beyond huge prints.

10mp has only came about recently, what do you think people did before then?

24. dano

dano OT Supporter

Went to other places before OTAP and complained that someone needed to make a 10mp camera. :mamoru: