Opinions on Nakamichi subs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thegeneral, Nov 6, 2002.

1. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

In particular, the SP-W1200D...

I'm interested mainly in Sound Q. :dunno:

They're very reasonably priced so I think this may be the woofer that I am going to go with.

2. 04

04 Guest

Well, first of all, define resonably priced?

Looking at the speaker's theile small parameters, you would not want to put it in anything but a sealed enclosure, because the system damping is quite low.

The fat surround takes a good deal away from the cone area, and that is a definate drawback. With the modest excursion, there is no need for such a wide profile surround, it does nothing but hurt performance.

IMHO there are probably better deals out there...

3. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

Hmmm... such as? They'll be going in an '90 Acura Integra 4-door (not the hatchback). I will probably be going with Focal Utopia 3-Ways (165W3) if I can get a good enough deal on them somehow. :dunno:

I'm guessing you would reccomend a ported enclosure over a sealed? Even for SQ? I have to admit, I DO like the way a ported sub sounds. But I don't generally have "PREFERENCES" yet, because I'm pretty new to the car audio game.

Oh, and what about these?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1395893058

Shit, for $69 bucks it sounds like a steal, but I'd expect them to be good because they're Nakamichi -- maybe I'm mistaken? :dunno:

Feel free to school me. :bigthumb: I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks guys. :)

4. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

5. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

Those are the same ones I asked about in the first place. :confused:

6. 04

04 Guest

Nope, ported in a car is not my preference. Sealed is better IMHO because of the response characteristics that come with it. Home subwoofers are better as ported, but like I said, it depends on the speaker. You can get a ported subwoofer to sound as good in the car, it would just be harder. And that Nak subwoofer is not sutible for ported use, if you did put it in a ported box, the result would not be so hot, especially in the car.

Quite frankly, the standard, ported for spl and sealed for sound quality is the route I go. I have a sealed enclosure in my car, because I am more about accurate music reproduction, and my brother has a ported enclosure, that doesnt sound very good, but goes crazy loud.

The 70 dollars is probably a fair price for that 15", but it will probably require a HUGE sealed box, if not a vented enclosure.

7. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

My bad I didnt click on the link :o An abc ported enclosure would be great for sq.

8. 04

04 Guest

:uh:

Do you have any idea how hard an Aperodic bi chamber enclosure would be for a newbie to build? :p

9. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

True. I haven't buit one yet but I might. Im pretty good with ported enclosures

10. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

I'm not going to be building it. :)

11. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

I'd go with a sealed enclosure until you get disappointed :dunno: