Opinions on my next build?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Shorty, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Shorty

Shorty New Member

new rig i just created a wish list for, will be mostly for gaming as well as lots of other random shit.

[​IMG]

Any thoughts? What do you think of my CPU choice, whats the differnce between that one and the black edition?

those seagates are gonna be in a raid0, say hello to crazy fckin throughput.
    would you suggest a different raid controller or will that onboard one be fine?

2. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

black edition has an unlocked multiplier so it can overclock a little bit higher.

overall I don't really like it. I am a huge amd fan but I am going intel just because amd really let me down with the phenom. it just is nothing special. If you are going to be building a system for that much you should at least go core 2 duo or core 2 quad. I would wait a little bit because something makes me think that once the new intel 45nm processors become more common the prices on the old quad cores will go down.

good cooling fan for the proc.

don't know why you need 2 tb of data storage for but to each his own.

get an sata burner. ide is dead technology now. also you can get a sata burner for less than that ide burner.

just my 2 cents.

edit:
    for raid most people suggest an accual hardware based raid. the built ins on the motherboards are alright if it's a dell but if you are going for throughput get a hardware based one.

3. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

if it were me-

I'd go with an AM2+ board.
    Drop the rosewill power supply. If you're concerned you'll need something greater than what comes in a case, you'd get something of a decent quality.
    2x1gb? You can get 2x2gb from newegg for similar prices.
    Lose the PATA cd drive- sata drives are near the same cost.

Now, the rest depends on gaming.

If so, get better cooling and splurge a couple more bucks on a faster processor or a quad-core.

if not, quad core optional, the oem fan/heatsink would work. the graphics card is overkill- I still don't get how anyone could spend more than 150 (MAX, hell $25 has done it for me just fine in the past) on a video card with standard outputs. If it's being used for video editing with like-ports, I understand... otherwise, why?

4. Shorty

Shorty New Member

Yea, i didnt even notice the drive was IDE, i just assumed no one even sold them any more haha.

I didnt even look into quad cores because i figured there would be a pretty big price jump, one of the reasons i selected that mobo and proc is because i know the 5 series chipset is a good one and a friend who has a computer building company swears by that board. Also the proc from what i understand, amd specs them on the low side so an amd x2 running at 2.66ghz is better than an intel dual core at same clock?

Also i will be waiting a while so that little bit about dropping prices will probably make me switch over to like the p35 board and a quad.

I dont need 2TB, but the drives are relatively cheap and from what i understand a raid0 of just two of those drives would be slower than a raid0 with 4 of them? If they had a 32mb seagate with less gb and cheaper i would of course go for it. I'll also definitley get a hardware setup for my raid then.

2x2gb is slower than 2x1gb from what i understand?

Can you suggest me a good powersupply from newegg that has modular cabling? I love that for a nice clean case look. The reason i selected the rosewill was the price, its cheaper than their 550w one

They actually bumped up the price of the video card, it was 249 which sucks. The reason i picked that card is because of the built in physics processor in the 8800 series. For that price, you cant really beat it. Even the top 8600 series cards cant touch it. You have spent 25$ and been fine gaming..please show me where..

This is only my second computer build, i dont think it was too bad because you guys didnt completely shut me down..haha.

What do you think of the ram?

5. Shorty

Shorty New Member

So i redid the build with a core 2 duo instead, as well as different power supply (still not satisfied with the non-modular) also switched the drive to a sata heh.

[​IMG]

Couldnt decide on the ram, its come down to these two:
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820148070

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820227191

Opinions?

In the end the core 2 system really seems like what i will go with, its got the faster ram, better cpu, and seems like it would smoke the amd system.

6. Shorty

Shorty New Member

Can some one suggest me a good raid controller?

7. Shorty

Shorty New Member

8. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

9. Shorty

Shorty New Member

Is that one really stable? its only 20$ cheaper and 130w less, would i be pushing it on that system with a 520w?

10. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

NEO psu's are real good, but the Corsair is better. And the Corsair is only 30 watts lower than the Antec.
    :dunno: