A&P Opinions on friends wedding photographer.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by kmad86, Jun 3, 2009.

1. kmad86

kmad86 Swine Epidemic Survival Crew '09 OT Supporter

Guys, I am not somebody to throw a valid opinion down when it comes to photography, but some friends got married this weekend and they paid a guy we know 3,300.00 to take pictures for their wedding. To me, his pictures don't look that great at all. The Kdubb wedding pictures by Girth were good pictures, this guys work is just blah to me. What do you guys think? I just need some better opinions, everybody around me is just blown away by this guys work.

So apparently it won't let me link his pictures....

he has more pics at www.mileswittboyer.com

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  2. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

edgy | artsy | cool

:ugh:

3. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

All I see is red X's

4. kmad86

fuck... works for me.

Hmm, I don't know why they wouldn't.

5. kmad86

Yeah, that's what I said. Pretty stupid.

6. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

:love:

Just looked at his site... he's good, has a decent eye for some shots, but I don't know if he's $3,300 good. :dunno:

I guess it all depends on how he markets himself. Also, as long as your friends like the pics, I sure they're not sad about parting w/ their money. :)

7. kmad86

Where are your kdubbs wedding pics? All I could find is v2

8. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I don't see anything you posted, but his portfolio and gallery shots look really nice. Maybe he uses a bit too many effects for me, but I see this shit every day, the couples he's shooting don't.

I'd say he's definitely competent, and $3300 isn't super expensive for a wedding photographer these days, so why the hate?

9. kmad86

I've just seen so much better work just glancing on here every once in a while. I don't think this guys stuff is great at all being that all he does is wedding pictures.

10. wrong1

wrong1 Member

Its all subjective. Not all styles appeal to everyone. I happen to like his pics, most of them anyway. I think he's got some junk on there... but overall I'd say he's good.

11. mojito

mojito New Member

other than the horrid borders, nothing wrong with those

12. Girth

13. Girth

right click, save as..., rehost the pics.

14. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I think it's exactly what women want in a wedding photographer, and thus I give him props for doing it. I wouldn't want to do it, but I'm not gonna talk shit about him simply because he's there and you're not. Honestly, this whole thread, like so many before it, says to me, "My friends did not pick me as a photographer, so I'm gonna hate on the guy they did." Who cares? Man up, and be happy for your friends.

15. kmad86

:rofl::rofl: I am not into photography really at all. I wouldn't even take the pictures for them if they asked. I can take some mean eBay pictures, but if it's not an eBay item then the camera is on auto and good to go.

16. alexromo

alexromo New Member

i wouldnt shoot for my friends or anyone i know

17. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

18. Girth

I don't think its that from my angle. Looking at his website, and comparing his portfolio to some $3000+ photographers I know here in Houston and Austin, he's not really comparable. He's good... but I don't think he's that good. Which brings it down to his marketing. He's doing a good job of selling himself and his product. He's has enough weddings under his belt to have a decent portfolio on his site, and his potential clients can see a good variety of his work. Someone that has done a handful of weddings can't really charge that much IMO, unless you're one helluva salesman.

If the bride loves the pics, thats all that matters. The groom will like 'em as long as the bride loves them. Thats really all that matters. :dunno:

19. Girth

:love:

20. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

wedding photography seems to be very subjective, for example myself and Girth and a bunch of other Houstonians went to a David Ziser seminar last week. He only shoots jpeg, and likes to put lights behind his brides and blow them up, as well as do weird things with his white balance etc. I didn't like his style but apparently the guy is doing pretty well since he says he does about 25 weddings/bar mitsvahs in a year and they're all high end clientelle at the high end spots in his home city. It's more about finding a bride that likes your work than it is impressing other photographers...and marketing, marketing will win in the end.

21. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

ziser is an idiot. Sorry you guys wasted your time.

Well, that's not nice. But he's definitely not someone you want to emulate. His stuff isn't up to par with most people on here, let alone most of the pro's we're looking at. He's built his business up based on his past work, and his established clientele. Definitely a case of 'I was awesome once, and people still get suckered in...'

I've been to a couple of his seminars, and watched his stuff on Kelbytraining.com, and every time I left with the feeling that I just watched a 'what not to do' video.

I would actually recommend the guy posted in this thread over ziser if I had a friend considering both.

(maybe i'm a little biased, but I just don't like the way he does things...)

Oh, and yeah. Marketing. Marketing > photography skills.

22. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

don't get me wrong, what he did photographically wasn't "great" but he had some great marketing ideas, and hell the cost was cheap as shit and what you got in freebies was well beyond the cost of the seminar. Hell you got a $100 credit to ACI Labs for going to the seminar (which cost 49, 59 or 79 bucks depending on if you found a good code or not), that alone is worth the cost of the seminar. Plus free 1 year to WPPI, if you're a wedding photog that is a good thing. They also offered PPA's indemnity insurance for free if you are a PPA member, some magazine subs etc etc.

All in all I don't feel that I "wasted" my time as I got some good marketing ideas as well as some free shit. Hell I paid $59 for the seminar and if all I use is the $100 credit to ACI I still made money going to it:o.

but I agree...he did a lot of shit with his flash that was basically blowing out his brides, there's a shit ton of spill over with his lights etc etc. He shoots JPEG and has Canon's version of d-lighting turned on, and recommends it! And he recommends turning on Nikon's D-lighting. I've never EVER read or heard anyone, anywhere suggest this:ugh. Everything says turn it off. It's a resource hog in camera, it slows down your shooting, and it doesn't give you what you actually saw when you took the image. :rofl:

23. Girth

Ziser might not have the best style of photography for this day and age, but he's food at what he does. He has his sponsors, and he has tours, so he's done something right over all these years. He had a lot of good marketing points, but I wasn't a fan of his pictures. He's too posed and traditional foe my taste, but I took away some good points from his seminar. Then again, his outlook and suggestions are along the same line as david jay's seminar last year for the most part. :dunno:

24. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

looks better than what I could do, although, give me a...

25. redna

redna New Member

year and the gear? :mamoru: