GUN Opinions on Dragunovs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Aequitas, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

They seem like pretty cool guns, never really held one though so I'm not sure how nice it truely is. How are their reputations, specifically Romanian ones? Seems like it'd be a fun rifle to get, especially with the cheap ammo.

Thoughts?

2. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

The only ones I've seen for sale aren't Dragunovs, they're AKs with a basic rechambering and a long barrel.

3. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I was just looking at them, with surplus ammo they still supposedly group at about 1.5 inches at 100 yards. It also looks like most of the Romak/FPK parts kits are $500-600 and receivers are hard to come by.

4. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

I would love to own a Tiger or a Romak.

Edit - I think Squid owns a Tiger, not sure though.

5. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I was just about to make this thread - until I saw that you made one already.

I'm interested in buying a Romanian PSL/Romak-3 (unless I could get a Russian or Chinese model for the same price). I know they won't be that accurate, but I assume it would at least have no trouble hitting a paper plate at 300 yards. Is that true or am I just dreaming? Are they at least reliable, won't jam on me, won't fall apart after a couple hundred rounds?

And would they classify as a low-capacity rifle? Here in Massachusetts, since I'm under 21, I can only get "low capacity long guns," meaning rifles that hold a max of 10+1 and shotguns with a max of 5+1. I've never seen any SVD/PSL mags that hold more than 10, so could this get away with a "low-capacity" classification?

6. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

1) You can expect to pay atleast 2x for a chinese over a romanian, more if you go with a russian (assuming you can even find a russian one for sale, IIRC only about 100 ever came to the US)
    2) They can actually be quite accurate as long as you use the right (about 150gr) ammo
    3) They are in fact 'low capacity'
    4) Drags/NDSs and PSLs actually use different systems to operate. The PSL is an oversized AK system, while the Drag uses something else.

www.dragunov.net

7. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Theyre nice, but I dont know if Id want to pay that much for one. Definately not really any cheap semi-auto 7.62x54R out there

Maybe build a DP28 someday

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

like Panzer said, the romy's are not dragunov's there basically 7.62x54r RPK's. Other then looks they have little in common with real drag's, nothing is really interchangable. That said some guys are getting pretty good results with there PSL's using decent ammo. When I see the recievers back in stock(doesn't seem anyone has any reciever stocked atm) I'll probably order one and a parts kit to put together. Complete romy rifles go for in the nieghborhood of $600 -/+ depending what accesorries are included, you wont find a Chicom or Ruskie for anywhere near that, Chinese ones generally go for $1800+ now and thats the .308 model the x54r Chicoms are pretty hard to come by, Russians go for $2.2k-$3.5k depending on model there were a couple versions imported sporterized with no bayo lug, f/h, and the military version with all the goodies. Russian and chicom ones although they resemble AK's the operating systems is alot more like the SKS.

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

TL, you might want to get a parts kit now, the barrels are going to have to be cut from now on because of the ATF IIRC.