GUN opinions on DPMS 308 semi

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GunShow, Jun 14, 2004.

1. GunShow

GunShow You had best unfuck yourself

I have been looking to pickup a quality .308 semi at a reasonable price. I have heard some people mention the fairly new DPMS line of rifles that are priced reasonably. I am leaning towards the Panther Long Range model with the 24" free floated bull barrel, flat top, and A2 stock. Anyone have any experience with this rifle or others in the DPMS line? My local gun dealer priced at it $975.

[​IMG]

2. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

at the moment, the ONLY, and i mean ONLY thing the BAR10 has going for it is FAL mags. that's it. there's no chrome lined barrel, it's $400 more than an AR10, and you can currently get a 5-mag conversion kit from armalite for $100. what you do is send them 5 M14 mags, and they destroy them, and mail you 5 brand new AR10 mags. this means that they're basically offering AR10 mags for $20 each, the same price as NIW FAL mags, if i remember correctly. after the sunset, you won't have to mail them old mags, because they won't have to destroy any mags. you just pay $100 for 5 mags, or $20 each. that all of a sudden eliminates the ONE thing the BAR10 had going for it.

another thing: i don't know if it's compatible with the BAR10, but armalite offers a removable carry handle for their flattop AR10's. bushmaster does not. that's bad. that means you're either using an A2 or an A4 with optics or BUIS. i know i'd like to have the option of a removable carry handle. armalite also chrome lines their barrels and chambers, and their rifles cost $400 less.

don't buy DPMS anything if you can help it, except barrels. it's pretty much widely accepted that RRA is good for everything except barrels, DPMS is good for barrels only, and colt, bushmaster, and LMT are good for everything, period. you can get by with any of the other stuff, but long term, it's not worth the tiny amount you save. in the case of the AR10 and DPMS's offering, an AR10 costs about the same. right at $1000. with that particular rifle you pictured, you'd still need rings, base, and optics.

4. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Holy shit, I thought chrome lined barrels have been standard for just about all semi autos since Vietnam

5. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

I've given this a lot of thought, and have decided you should just get a Rem700P and an STG-58. Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Thank you.

6. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

M1A is calling your name

7. RealFastV6

I have reconsidered, and have decided you should just get a Rem700P, an M1A, and an STG-58. Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Thank you.

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

what about an HK91, while you're making a list?

9. GunShow

I have and am really liking the Bushmaster Varminter Upper.

[​IMG]

10. GunShow

Too much $$$ :wtc:

11. GunShow

Link to specs and price on 700p :squint: . A nice bolt gun would be sweet though :cool:

12. RealFastV6