Opinions on Dewalt DW849?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Geoffman72, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Geoffman72

Geoffman72 Rotary/Boxer Owned

As seen here on Auto Magics website;

http://www.automagic.biz/accessories/DW849.htm

This is the polisher I've learned on and am familiar with. Having no experience with other buffers, I was just wondering how it stacks up.

From what I've read so far though it seems to be a pretty competent rotary.

It sure made the POS early 90s Chevy full size conversion van the dealer gave me to learn on look like new! (I only burned through slightly on a corner my first time through :o )

2. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

:bigthumb: i use that

3. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

It's a great rotary buffer. You might also want to look into a makita. I personally think that the makita is a bit easier to operate but that's just me. I learned on a Dewalt as well.

4. Geoffman72

Geoffman72 Rotary/Boxer Owned

My only gripe about it was that it really wears you out with its weight on such large vehicles such as the above mentioned conversion van.

I know Pneumatic buffers are lighter, but heard they dont perform as well, plus my compressor isnt exactly a beast.

5. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Maybe you should look into a Porter Cable 7336 ot 7424 orbital buffer then. I did an Excursion with mine and it wasn't all that bad. I agree with you on the fact that the rotary takes alot out of you. If you'll be doing alot of scratch removal then you should get a rotary. If you're going to be doing more of a light polish/light swirl or light oxidation then maybe you could settle for just getting a PC. It's really up to you though.

6. KMAzz

KMAzz OT Supporter

If you are detailing the right way you'll need a high speed rotary and an orbital dewalt makes both of these products and they are great. These days Dewalt,porter cabel, mikita, etc all have very similar products so its really personal pref.

7. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

I use the Dewalt and it'll give your shoulders a nice workout by the end of the day ^_^

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Another option is the Cyclo dual head polisher. Two 4" heads that oscillate and rotate in opposite directions. As safe as a PC but more power. I'm probably going to get one before the year is out.

9. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Scott,

Are the results as good with a Cyclo as they would be with a rotary? What I mean by that is will it work for major paint correction as well as a rotary does?

10. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

My understanding is it can come close but it obviously isn't as fast as a rotary. It will outperform a PC in removing scratches and swirls though. Do a search in either the pro forum, click and brag or product review forum for Anthony Orosco's thread on paint correction with a Cyclo.