Opinions on bikes?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by JointBeaker, May 22, 2005.

1. JointBeaker

JointBeaker packaging engineer #2 OT Supporter

Anyone have any opinions/feedback on any of these? I've been searching online for bikes in my area, and I guess I'd like to stay in this price range. So, um...opinions? :hs:

'98 Suzuki Bandit 1200
    18xxx miles
    $3300
    [​IMG]

'95 CBR 1000
    14xxx miles
    $4000
    [​IMG]

'93 CBR 1000
    miles ???
    $3500[​IMG]

'93 CBR 600
    23,000 miles
    $3450
    [​IMG]

'01 CBR 600 F4i
    "very low miles"
    $4400
    [​IMG]

2. ProFX

ProFX New Member

My choice would be between the top two.
    Both are excellent machines.

The only question is do you want full fairing or is a bikini fairing sufficient?

3. JointBeaker

Hrm...full fairing sportbike would be fine. I'm totally ok with that. Any major differences between the 93 and 95 CBRs?

Ideally, I would love to entertain the idea of a SV650 in this price range. There's a dealer somewhat near my home that's still got an '03 SV1000 and they're looking for 6300, I believe. That's quite a bit higher than my intended price range, but, I really like those bikes. :drool:

At any rate...that can't happen. I figure I'll take much less of a resale hit later on, if I start with an older bike. :hsd:

(By "start" I mean...owning my own bike, not riding my fathers bike, which he doesn't even have anymore. This will be the first bike that I will have owned, but, definitely not the first bike I've spent the season riding on.) :hsd:

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  4. Raithan

Raithan :wackit:

Wait.. you're looking at these bikes as a first bike?
    :slap:

5. JointBeaker

No no...my first bike was a turbo busa. :ugh2:

I basically "inherited" an older Honda Silverwing 500, and rode that for two summers back when I lived at home. That bike was basically an exact replica of this one on eBay right now...(minus Windjammer fairing, and hard bags out back)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ory=6708&item=4549459276&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

EDIT: Wait...you're jumping to conclusions? :slap:

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  6. JointBeaker

Part of me likes the idea of being more laid back like with the old bike...and not in such an aggressive riding position. A nicer 750 Shadow would fit my personality just fine I believe.

Just for the sake of posting a pic...
    [​IMG]

7. Raithan

Raithan :wackit:

Aha, Sorry.. That was the sentence that made me think it was your first bike. I did notice your edit though ;)

Otherwise, I've been looking at a Shadow 750 myself and I really like them.. Out of all the bikes you posted I like either the Shadow the best or the F4i. :eek3: :noes:

8. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

The Shadow 750 will be a nice bike if you're not looking for a whole lot of performance or for that matter, not a lot more performance than you had from your old Silverwing.

That 1993 CBR 1000 is bound to have a million + 1 miles on it, just look at the hard luggage and the kind of shape it's in. Of all the ones I've ever had the pleasure of looking at, they're almost always used as a heavy-duty lomng haul tourer. Kind of like a bigger brother to the VFR 750 of the era.

If the SV 650 was appealing to you, I find it hard to believe that you'd be interested in a Shadow 750 for very long. The Bandit 1200 is a heck of a bike and it also has the half-faired look to it. I hope you can handle the torque though, those things have lots of it and deliver it nicely, I have really enjoyed the few times I have ridden one, but the engines can be a tad buzzy.

The '93 CBR 600 could be a nice bike, too bad the pic doesn't work. The riding position won't be as confortable as it is on either of the CBR1000's, but it will be much more "flickable" and light handling.... although, not as good on the highways.

I suppose you need to first figure out what you will really be doing with the bike and then pick the one that best suits your needs.

9. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

It all depends what you want to do.

on long rides, the cruisers are damn comfortable...provided you've got at least 1000cc's under you. The smaller motors do just fine, but the 1000+ bikes do it better. To be honest, you can probably pick up a plain-jane Kawi Vulcan 1500 thats a few years old for that price. They aren't much to look at, but they've got the bulk and motor to go anywhere without issue. Back when I sold bikes, some guy traded his in. This was a 96 or 97 model with signs of use and abuse. The only mechanical problem was a leaky oil plug (a new crush washer fixed that) He had ridden it to every one of the lower 48 and racked up an astounding 64,000 miles. If I would have had the money, I would have bought it as a project bike.

The older CBR1000's are really comfy, but have a habit of developing noisy cam chain tensioners. Its not that they fail, they just sound shitty after only a few thousand miles.
    The bikes themselves go forever. I'd buy the newest one you can afford.

I'm not a huge fan of the bandits. Don't really care for air/oil cooling. 99% of the time, its not a problem, but me and Murphey go back a long way. Besides, Vegas summers are REALLY hard on cooling systems. 110° plus temps really work engines hard.

10. Mischief

Mischief OT Supporter

the 2nd cbr looks really nice, but why no yamaha'z?