Opinions on Anette Olzon? v.Nightwish

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by deusexaethera, Jan 26, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

She sounds like Belinda Carlisle. That's not bad necessarily, and it makes for an interesting contrast with the rest of the ensemble, but it's...it's not Tarja. She could really fill out a track with her voice, whereas I can tell that the recording engineer is cutting a hole in the new album so Anette's voice can be heard. She really needs to project more.

Not sure how I feel about keeping the band name though, because it's not the same band. They didn't even try to get someone with a similar voice. Still, I kinda like it.

- - -

<konings_hoeven>

EDIT: Click here to watch the new album's "hit single" on YouTube. Most of the album isn't so...poppy...but damn if this isn't catchy as hell.

In other news, St. Bernardus, Nostradamus, Delirium Tremens, and Koning's Hoeven are the best beers on Earth. Those Belgian monks know their shit, I tell you what. 20 proof, just sweet enough to not be bitter, and a nice dark amber color. I should move there.

</konings_hoeven>

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  2. Gaz

Gaz New Member

I wouldn't say she's too bad, although she does have very generic vocals. Tarja's vocals were very unique and as soon as they fired her I knew they'd never be able to find someone similar.

However, I don't think Nightwish should change their name. After all, except for the vocals, Tarja didn't contribute much to the band. Tuomas does pretty much all the songwriting.

Dark Passion Play was a very good album in my opinion. While the vocals were generic, the folk and classical influences made the album original. I'm seeing Nightwish in 4 days so it'll be interesting to hear how Anette handles the back catalogue of Nightwish's career.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

From what I've heard, she sucks at singing the old stuff. As you said, Tarja's voice was very unique (outside of the classical scene anyway), and that affected the music that Tuomas wrote. They'd have to rewrite all the old songs to account for Anette's "generic" voice.

Hopefully Tuomas will start dueting more with her. He's not a fantastic singer by any means, but at least the harmony will fill out the spectrum better, as evidenced by the vocals on "Seven Days to the Wolves".

4. Gaz

Gaz New Member

Yeah, I've heard that Anette doesn't handle Nightwish's earlier stuff too well, which is not surprising because she certainly does have a different voice to Tarja. I still don't think Anette herself is a bad singer, but she's no Tarja as I think we have already come to an agreement on.

The older songs certainly were written for Tarja and I think it would be hard for any singer to be able to sing them very well. The mix of Anette's and Marco's vocals however plays nicely on the new album. I think therefore if they just put aside their past reputation and start with new and fresh ideas, they'll be able to still continue to impress fans nevertheless.