Opinions on a starter bike...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by lordcoca, Jul 20, 2006.

1. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

What'd be a good bike for a fairly inexperienced driver, I've taken the msf course but never got a bike of my own. But things are looking good now and I might take the plunge :coold:

I'm mainly looking for in town commuting, but I'll be taking it on highways occasionally for the Lawrence -> Kansas City highway commute, about an hour or so tops. I've been eyeing the GS500F but wanted opinions and more options :)

2. Chiron

Chiron New Member

3. machine81

machine81 New Member

Anything in the 500-550cc range is good. They have enough grunt to make them bearable on the highway, but not enough twitchy power to get you in trouble. Shy away from the 600cc inline-four sportbikes.

4. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

It's really comes down to the riders ability to control temptations while riding anything within a 600cc and a liter. I know many would disagree I would get anything under a liter. Don't get me wrong a 500cc is a great bike and for a sportbike I beilieve you only have two options anyways. The only thing is that it is air-cooled as opposed to liquid cooled. So you have to warm up the damn thing.