GUN Opinions on a first AR?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Sep 3, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I was thinking about getting a rifle kit from Del-Ton. Do they make okay uppers? I'm looking to get a 16" M4 type rifle. I probably won't shoot out past 100 yards very much, 200-300 at the VERY most. I'd like to budget it around $800ish dollars. Is there a manufacturer-made rifle at about this cost?

And what should I be looking for? Is a chrome-lined barrel a must or is chrome molly okay? M4 Feed ramps?

And this is more of a personal preference question, but is OD Green/FDE furniture cheesy? I kind of like how it looks personally, but I dunno.

Last thing that I can think of right now is I'm going to want a 4-sided rail handguard + VFG. Troy Industries has nice pricing, any others I should look at? Also, what length should I be looking at for a 16" M4. I want to keep the factory FSB.

2. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

Build best rifle you a can afford.
    This is my suggestions, I also don't really care if people call me a LMT sackrider.
    LMT 16" upper, LMT full auto BCG,charging handle aprox 600
    any complete lower or stripped if you feel like puting one together
    Lower parts kit 60
    striped lower 100-150
    complete lowers 250 on up, lots come with 6 pos stocks. Lmt uppers don't come with handguards, but alot of dealers will include them free. The above will get you the complete gun together.
    I would pass on a rear buis if you want to buy just a aimpoint. or you can just buy buis to start out, but you wll still need to sight it in with them.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

Bravo Company gives free handguards with LMT uppers. If you want a mid length then get a Bravo Company upper when the come in stock.

www.bravocompanyusa.com

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Just my opinions but I don't care much for the railed haindguards. I would also want a mid lenght gas system on a 16" barrel so it would be softer shooting. I'm also very picky about chambers, barrel countors, etc. All these options do raise the price of the rifle quite a bit.

I've been recommending DPMS as a entry level rifle. I've shot several examples and feel you get a lot for your money.

5. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

My recommendation having bought the ultimate AR right from the beginning, buy a cheap beater, enjoy it then build something fancier over time.

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Lol, I bet ARFCOM hates you don't they?

How many times have you been banned spouting logic like that?

7. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

I like my OD furniture.

I never understood replacing grips with railed handguards then covering them to form a grip.

I have a non-chrome lined, non M4 ramp upper, and every ammo (including wolf and brown bear) has worked fine.

8. Initial E

Initial E New Member

The OD furniture is kinda cheesy. I've seen some rifles where different brands of OD totally didnt match all the way. Magpul/Larue have a new color called UDE though. Not my cup of tea though.

I wasnt a fan of a railed handguard until I started to shoot my gun a whole lot more. The standard handguards kept just getting way too damn hot. I put a 7" Troy MRF-C rail on there. It appears that the gun dissipates heat quicker, but the rail added a bit of weight to it. If you are going to keep the FSB, get the Troy MRF-C or MRF-DI.

Other than that. Just get whatever you can afford and enjoy it.

9. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Dawt.

Don't rice that shit out from the get go. Buy a rifle with stock handguards - which in spite of all the rail systems out there actually work as designed.

Shoot over irons and get good with them. If you go with a dot/holo sight, make might want backup irons for a "lower third" cowitness since electronics - no matter how well made - have this tendency to fail on you at the worst of times.

Also try to avoid buying so many accessories, which combined, are worth eight times the rifle they're bolted to. You'll end up with a cleaner-looking rifle that weighs in close to spec and won't have piles of used parts that are worth little to nothing on the resale market. An AR that tries to be good at everything doesn't usually succeed.

The most badass AR's that have notches in the stock tend to have carry-handle sights and are beat to shit; whenever they have extras, they tend to be an aimpoint, VFG attached to the stock handguards, or a weaponlight - and usually two of said accesories at most.

10. johnson

johnson New Member

The Perfect Tactical AR15 Setup....A Common Sense Approach

11. That's a good post. I noticed also that he didn't use "the chart" and actually recommends rifles that "the chart" would have us believe are substandard.

12. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'll end up going this route. Only things I want right now are a VFG, light, and a BUIS. :coold:

THanks for the link, too johnson.

Any other opinions on chrome molly vs. chrome lined?

13. You want the chrome lined. Chrome-Moly is just a type of steel, it's not an actual chrome lining.

14. johnson

johnson New Member

Well he did mention to use quality rifles from top manufacturers and it was more about "setups" than what rifle to choose. That post is from 2005 so I believe that "the chart" just reaffirms what most trigger pullers/instructors advocate.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008