GUN Opinions on .45 semi autos....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Supernoma, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Supernoma

Supernoma servus publicae OT Supporter

Whats the opinion of .45s?

My dad collects .45s; Id have to say the best .45 Ive fired is a Kimber. Makes the more expensive Colts look bad.

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The only production 1911's i'd really be interested in would be Wilson's, or Springfield Armory. Kimber's are slick too, though they seem to be having quality control issues of late. You have about a 60/40 of getting a great gun or a lemon.

3. Sideways

Sideways Do I look like I give a damn?

I have had my Kimber Ultra Ten II for over 2 weeks now and I have put over 300 rounds through it so far. Haven't misfed a round and overall the quality of the gun is the best I have had yet. It has replaced my other concealed carries as my weapon of choice.

My average groups @ 25 yards is a little under 2.5", but latley for some reason my groups have been more around 3" which I think is, because I strained my arm over the week moving heavy oak furniture.

The other 1911s I looked at were the Les Baer which didn't offer a compact .45 and cost way more then I was willing to spend and the Springfield 1911 Ultra Compact which shot nice and was accurate, but I didn't like the feel and the build quality was lacking on the slide and barrel.

I spent several weeks playing around with the Springfield and I'll admit I bought the Kimber on a whim, because of the great reviews it has been getting.

And in the end I was not disappointed.

4. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

The best .45 auto that I've ever had the pleasure of firing is a tossup between the H&K Mark 23 and a full size Kimber (I forget which model, it was a bit ago).

I personally like to work on my form and accuracy using a .45 auto first due to the fact that my full size .45 that I own is heavy and is vented and the kick of the .45 is pretty much non-existant. I then move on to my .38super to work on the hard-hitting accuracy, double-taps, etc.

Of course, my most loved .45 auto is the H&K USC, the .45 auto carbine that's modeled after the MP5, it's just a joy to shoot and so highly accurate that I nearly bought one, but they're uber-expensive. :(

5. kellyclan

There's USC's for as low as $850 on www.gunsamerica.com, if that's any better a price than you've seen.

6. Scoob_13

I see you're trying to tempt me :squint:

Thanks for the tip :bigthumb:

7. kellyclan

:big grin: Well, i mean, i really think that's still a bit steep for what you're getting, but it's certainly better than MSRP. ;)

Hey, if i'm dropping bucketloads of cash this week, i want someone to commiserate with. :big grin:

8. novass

novass Guest

Springfields, I have had good luck with them. I just put together a AR 15 from Rock River parts, I would love to see one of their 1911s !

9. GunShow

GunShow You had best unfuck yourself

My favorite .45 would also be a kimber. A pro carry hd was the first Kimber that I ever fired and I have been enamored with them ever sense. I am also quite partial to the wilson combat cqb. They make some dead sexy .45s www.wilsoncombat.com

10. Scoob_13

If it makes you feel better, I just dropped $1k on a server for my business and $2k on a personal loan to my girlfriend for a car for her

:(

No new rifles for me any time soon, at least until Christmas :bigthumb:

11. blue meanie

blue meanie Guest

I own a kimber custom target II and I must say it shoots dam good. there is nothing like putting a 800 dollar hand gun in the hands of a 2 dollar shooter

12. Loser

Loser Guest

i have an old wwII vintage moble 1911, in perfect shape looks brand new. never had a missfire or a jam ever, not real good accuracy but i love the gun. my dad has a colt officers model and that is awsome, verry accurate and reliable. i wood also like to get a kimber.

13. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

If you don't want another 1911, take a look at the Sig Sauer P220. VERY nice guns. Reliable, good basic design, accurate. Nice nice guns.

14. 35thss

35thss Guest

[​IMG]

I've had this Kimber now for about two months and it is the best damn gun I've ever had the pleasure of shooting. :bigthumb:

15. Corndito

Corndito New Member

goddamn that is one sessy lookin gun :bigthumb:

16. GunShow

GunShow You had best unfuck yourself

17. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

my dad has a kimber custom II .45 and we both love it. no problems w/ it at all.

I also really like Wilson, and STI (I would love a trojan 6.0)

18. kellyclan

i just wrung out a Para Ordnance P12 LDA at the range yesterday :eek: i like it. :yum: It's hard to believe that it's a double action trigger.