GUN Opinions on .223 reloading supplies and electronic powder measure...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by minus, Nov 14, 2009.

1. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I need your opinions on on this stuff. Also does grafs give discounts for C and R holders? I will be loading small batches for a bolt rifle.

Phrozen I am buying that Savage I know I am overpaying but I am ok with that due to the lack of lefty rifles around here.

I'm thinking about an electronic combo like:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=279731

Scale with PC interface. I don't have a good scale now and a good mechanical measure would be a little over 100 anyway.

Die set:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=776391

3 Die set because all my brass is once fired.

Trimming and prep items:
    I believe I have the chamfer tool and cuter and lock stud so I just need the length gauge and shellholder.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=389104
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=515804
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=107333
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=476992

Misc items:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=2124114260
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=888804

I have the powder funnel single stage press tumbler etc at home already. I know it is all lee stuff with the exception of the measure and scale but I have been satisfied with their products.

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I personally am not real huge on the electronic powder scales. I've always found them to be flakey, and slow as compared to a manual thrower.

As for the dies.... Lee dies suck when talking rifle stuff. Personally... I'd skip the electronic setup, grab a RCBS Uniflow, and use that difference in money for a better die set (Redding is damn hard to beat).

3. minus

Will the uniflow be good for pistol and rifle or will I need to mod a whole bunch of stuff? Can you recommend a scale? The lee one is a pain in the ass.

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Never used the Uniflow for pistols, honestly. When I started wanted to do pistol stuff I just bought a Dillon.

As for scales.... the PACT/RCBS digi scales are supposedly the best. I dunno.... I have a RCBS version and it still fucks up on occasion. A beam scale never fucks up and is cheaper to boot. The cheapy E-scales work, but fuck up more often, causing you to have to check with a beam more often. See where it goes?

Buy a beam scale cheap off ebay or such, and get the PACT if stuck on electric. I hear the Dillon wired unit isn't bad either. Think of the electric scale as the Mona Lisa, balancing two gold bars. You want to keep that shit out of heat/cold/vibration/air current/alien forces/etc. The best e-scale would probably be the one kept in some kinda virbration proof vacuum.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Graffs requires a legit ffl for dealer status.

I will not comment on your choices as I am completely biased on dillon stuff.

I use the electronic dillon terminator scale and I have complete faith in it. I run it. I've had it for over 5 years now. It was the first thing I pulled off a prize table at my first big match. I remember I was so happy to get it and the veteran guys that brought me up kept telling me it was a good choice. I got the thing before I got my first used reloader (a 550)

6. minus

The only reason I was sackriding the electronic combo units is because right now I don't have a good charge thrower and think that the ability to charge and weigh in one would really help.

7. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Nah, business license is enough for them.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

odd when i called them they said we needed a ffl which we have so it was a non issue.

9. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I don't have my FFL but I got my dealer account after I sent a scanned copy of my business license to them.

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I get a discount with an 03 ffl.

Anyway natchez has some really hard to beat prices even with discounts at other places.

Personally I'd get a good powder throw and a quality fast scale like the rcbs 10-10

11. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Get a high end set of dies. The Lee's will scratch up your jackets and they won't be super straight. Two most important things is consistency of powder weight and bullet seat.

12. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I know it's been said before, but going the dillon route, what's a decent price for a base setup someone could get into this for? ~$500? $1000?

13. For .223 in an AR:

$406 for the Dillon
    $95 for the Superswage (it helps)
    $35 Redding Full Length Die Set (Midsouth)
    $25 Wilson Headspace Gauge (better safe than sorry) (Midway)
    $36 RCBS Media Separator (Midway)

You pick:
    Tumbler
    Scale to check charges
    Calipers

I think that's all you need to get going with a basic setup. If I left anything out, let me know.

14. I actually use the decap/resize die in my single stage press. Lube the cases, size and decap them, then tumble them to get the lube off. Then do the rest of the case prep (swaging, trimming if needed) then run them through the dillon. Since tumbling media has the potential to get stuck in the flash hole, my first station on the dillon has a lee universal decapping die. They're like $12. The decapping pin simply punches out and stuck media. This whole process really only works if you have a single stage press in addition to the dillon though.

15. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I'd want to do 9mm at the same time. But that wouldn't be that much more, amirite? From those photos from your room, I think I could fit that into our spare bedroom with a little fenagling.

16. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

wish I had someone near by to show me how to do this one time when I got the setup. I can just see the thread "dpixel8's ar went kaboom"

17. Yeah, the gun room isn't big, it's just a standard spare room.

The 9mm wouldn't be much more, and since it's also small primer you wouldn't have the hassle of switching primer setups when you switch calibers. All you'd need is a second tool head (really, it's worth it unless you like setting up dies) and the set of 9mm dies. Also, pick up a toolhead stand so you have some place to keep the toolhead you're not using. Swapping toolheads takes about 30 seconds. The only "hard" thing to do when you swap calibers is to swap the shellplate, but even that is pretty easy, and only takes a minute or so.

18. I'll show you. Come here. The kB thing scares me too, that's why I gauge each round through the Wilson gauge as I put them into their ammo boxes once I'm done loading them. Then I know the case dimensions are good and the headspace isn't going to be a problem.

19. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

way over my head buddy. if I end up getting the setup, we might have to use your wife's SlutCam® and you can walk me through the process.

Do those tables you have fold down? Wouldn't mind getting something that I could dissassemble and put away (or at least out of the way) for when we have guests

20. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

yeah. might be a good idea. i can usually do something myself after being shown by hand the first time.

21. The benches don't fold down. They're burly workbenches. You need something stable for the press, otherwise everything moves around.

22. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

k. can always just take the press off and put the table in the garage then. no biggie.

just trying to budget all this shit out. i need to start reloading (and am going to have to buy brass too), the cellphone bullshit, have a refi coming up so the assessor $300. gotta love being unemployed/self-employed

23. Buying brass FTL. There are no ranges nearby where you can go and scavenge it?

24. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

meh. I can try, but most are either locked or have to buy a membership. we'll see.

25. Chip and I were at the range a week or two ago and there was a guy near us shooting a bunch of Black Hills .223. He left all his brass on the ground. As soon as the guy left, we were like starving africans on a dead zebra.