GUN Opinions and pricing question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 06PWXB, Feb 21, 2006.

1. 06PWXB

06PWXB New Member

It seems that everyone likes their XD's on here. So how much should I expect to pay for a gently used XD in a gun shop or is there a place online to get them at a decent price? I know of gunbroker.com so I was just curious if there is any other place.

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I dont know about used, but the new pricing seems to be about $400 for a XD9 and I paid $460 OTD for a XD40. Used pricing a little less than that.

I already see it coming, get a Glock :mb:

XDs are great guns and you would be very happy with one.

3. 06PWXB

06PWXB New Member

Well, Glocks are ok. My buddy has one so if I feel like shooting a Glock I'll use his. LOL I'd rather not spend the money that they want out of a glock on one honestly. My SW40 that I had pleased me just as much as a glock would but at a fraction of the cost.

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

XDs are as nice as Glocks for $100 cheaper :mamoru:

5. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I wouldnt pay more than $400 for a service model with normal sites..

6. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

fixeed

7. 06PWXB

06PWXB New Member

So what do you guys think about a Polish Makarov for a carry pistol? A friend of mine has one and he seems to like it but I wanted to get some other opinions.

8. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

faggotry

the p64 "polish makarov" isnt really a makarov..

get a bulgarian FTW

9. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Save up and get a Glock 26 or a XD Sub-Compact.

10. 06PWXB

06PWXB New Member

Well, I wasn't looking at the Polish Mak simply b/c it's fairly cheap. I was looking at it b/c of it's size. It's a good sized pistol to carry. I find the Glocks to be somewhat bulky to carry everyday. I'm not sure on the XD since I've never held one. But they look to be similar in size with the Glock so they may be a bit bulky as well. About how big are the XD Sub-Compacts? Have a pic of it with some kind of size comparison?

11. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

The Glock 26 their Sub-Compact and wouldn't be hard to carry. Plus it's 9mm so you have good ammo capacity and a good selection of defensive ammo. The XD Sub-Compact is pretty much the same size as the Glock 26.

It's the one in the front of this pic. The semi-auto behind it is a S&W 915, revolver is a Ruger SP101 and the one in the back is a Ruger 22/45 for size comparison.
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    Here's another with the Glock 26 and a 4" XD leaning up in the background.
    [​IMG]

And the Glock 26 on the far right in this one.
    [​IMG]

12. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

[​IMG]

that's an XD subcompact

13. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

14. millero

millero Aluminum Member

That pic is badass. I will be trying to copy this next time I'm out shooting.

15. 06PWXB

06PWXB New Member

Thanks for the pics man. That helped out a bunch. So I guess the XD Sub-Compact is around 400 or am I totally off on that?

16. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

yeah theyre around there I believe..

makarov is a good gun, I carry a Bulgarian Makarov myself, single stack, its comfortable, but I'd probably rather have a polymer.. you can hold more rounds in a double stack xd or glock, and it wont weigh anymore than the steel makarov..

its just that the polish makarov isnt really a makarov... someone here on OT has a P64, I think they like it, so either way it might be a good gun.

17. 06PWXB

06PWXB New Member

Ok I'm fairly new with guns so bear with me. LOL Why do you say Polish Makarovs aren't real makarovs? What are the specs on your Bulgarian Mak? What kind of price range are those in?

18. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

www.makarov.com

read up.

the P64 is often referred to as a makarov, only because it looks like a makarov, and shoots the same round.. however, they function completely differently..

the p64 has many more parts than a makarov does..

real makarovs are usually made in Russia, Bulgaria, or East Germany.

The Bulgarians are the best bang for the buck, and the easiest to find..

the East Germans are the highest quality, but go for almost twice as much as the bulgarian..

bulgarians are getting harder to find, but theyre definitely still out there..

current market price seems to be between $180-$200, whereas, a year ago, they were down around $150 or so.

With my bulgarian, I've never had a problem with FMJ (full metal jacket) ammo, but with hollowpoints, I sometimes have feed problems.. that might be because I hardly ever clean it :o

some online places that might have bulgarian mak's in stock:

www.jgsales.com
    www.aimsurplus.com
    www.southernohiogun.com

also, check your local shops.. supporting the local businesses FTW..

and cheap 9x18 ammo can be found at www.ammunitionstore.com

the makarov is a great carry gun for the money, but if you can do it, save a little more and get a G26 or a XD9SC... or better yet, a Glock 36, single stack 45 ACP :kdubb:

only 6 rounds capacity, but the power of a 45, in a slimmer, single-stack magazine​

19. 06PWXB

06PWXB New Member

Nice post. Thanks for that info. I will definitely check those sites out. It seems that my local gun shops like to jack up the prices enormously compared to online sites. But I guess it's that way anywhere you go with anything now adays.

20. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

of course. its like some local businesses dont realize that people have access to the internet, where there are lower prices, and less middlemen.. some business owners DO realize this, and price accordingly..

and I dont mind paying a little more for service and to support local businesses, but sometimes, the prices are so different its not worth buying locally.

21. 06PWXB

06PWXB New Member

Yeah I don't mind buying things from them as long as they aren't raping us on prices. But a couple of our local shops are easily 50-100 more than online prices the majority of the time. 50 more isn't too bad b/c you are going to end up paying that for shipping and FFL charges, but 100 is a bit ridiculous. I did make the mistake one time of mentioning that I could get a certain gun online around $80 cheaper and he got huffy with me and told me to just buy it online then. So I probably won't say anything like that again. I'll just keep it to myself. LOL

22. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

I hate guys that get pissed when you mention competition..

:noes: not teh internets :ugh2:

Idiots think they dont have to compete on pricing, fuck em.

instead of getting huffy, he shouldve said "I can come down this far.."

try to at least make the sale.. or say "we offer in store service, yada yada"..

if not, just say "well I cant come close to that, I wish I could"

they dont have to be assholes about it

23. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

fucking :werd:

do they not think people are going to go elsewhere, especially with that fucked up attitude

24. 06PWXB

06PWXB New Member

I just stopped at another gun shop on my way home. I was asking the guy about Makarovs. When I said Makarov initially he looked at me like I had 10 heads like he had no clue what it was. Then I continued to talk about the Makarov look alike (Polish) and he was still blank. Then he asked about how much the Polish "Mak" runs. I said around 200. I thought he was going to have a hissy fit. He said in no way would he trust a gun that was 200. His exact words were "I didn't know they made guns for 200 that were worth a shit" all in his fake down home Kentucky accent. LOL So then I looked at a price on an XD there and they wanted 500 for a used XD. Then I laughed and walked out. I couldn't handle that place anymore.

25. 06PWXB

06PWXB New Member

So on southernohiogun.com you have to be a licensed FFL dealer to purchase from them?