SRS Opinions? Advice?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by deleterious, Jan 30, 2005.

1. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

Ok, I'll try to keep this simple and straight to the point.

I'm very good at a lot of things I do, I am very smart for my age, top player on a 2nd in the state travel team as well. I am funny, nice, and usually fun to be around. But...

I don't think I'm getting enough enjoyment out of life, everything seems so boring, and frustarating. :hs: I need something easy to make things more exciting. I'm NOT interested in a new hobby, I'm very busy at the momment. Just maybe some advice, or maybe just opinions on something easy to gain more enjoyment for life.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

2. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

8 Views? Come on people, at least show that your here..

3. I'm here. I would literally give my life to have what you currently have - so it's hard for me to really be able to give any insight to you. I'm sure you'll find some ideas though.

4. johan

johan Active Member

That kinda presumes we might know what you enjoy.
    So. What DO you enjoy?

You seem to have a lot going for you, in some ways at least. So what are you missing out of life?

You want everything you have now, but more? More of what? Or something different entirely? Maybe more personally satisfying than playing some sports or engaging in some diverting but ultimately empty hobbies?

Dave's gonna suggest volunteering (I think) but that takes a lot of committment.

5. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

I mean, I know I'm better off than most people..but I guess I just expect too much.

To answer the what do I want question, Well I don't know what I want, I want more excitement. Something that will get me happy all the time.

As far as my hobbies go, I like to play paintball--but that takes lots of money I don't have, need people to play[who have money]. Thats pretty much it besides soccer too, which I don't have enough people who want to play a 'pickup' game. [we have snow here too :hs:]

6. Throwdown

Throwdown whore destroyer

So, what you saying is - through your success thus far, you are still missing somthing?

if so, i know where you are coming from. but without knowing you, its a hard question to answer. have you ever considered a musical talent? joining a band/recording music is very exciting. and people who are very smart are usually very good at applying themselves to writing music. :dunno:

7. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

That takes alot of time and is a huge commitment. I'm on the edge of quitting the band I'm in due to a lack of time between school, work, and kids. Besides, if he has never played a musical instrument it isn't exactly the easy task he was looking for...Then again if you are just playing music for yourself it gives you more flexibility with the time you need to devote to it and you can always play your instrument at a party/social gathering.

If you have snow and mountains take up snowboarding...you can easily go with just one other person and it will still be fun. Of course it can get expensive.

8. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

my advice would be to look into meditation

9. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

Actually I am looking to take up the electric guitar soon. Maybe that will help some.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You need a holiday in Cambodia.

11. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

Can't drive. :hs:

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You don't have to. Get your ass a job, and save money. Go backpacking in India. You need to see how most of the world lives, and experience that for yourself by living on $3 a day. Then you will appreciate your life in America, and grow as a person. India doesn't appeal to you? Go to South America. South America doesn't appeal to you? Go to S.E. Asia. Get your ass out there and experience the wonder of this world, boy.

Travel.

13. I mean go on holiday. Backback. Travel by train/bus/etc. The freedom of travelling, especially backpacking is amazing and will give you a lift (well it gave me a lift anyway) It's just something i'd recommend.

14. johan

johan Active Member

Yeah travelling by train is way better than car anyway. Freedom without hassle.
    And there's a certain old world charm that just can't be had sitting in the last row of a greyhound (yuck). However, buses do go to more places....

Throw a bunch of shit in a backpack, and hop on a train or a bus and see places. Go there yourself, not on a "holiday" or tour thing. Wander around a new city or town.

I don't know where you live, but there's gotta be somewhere interesting within a $100 round trip ticket by greyhound. You can stay in a hostel for like $10 a night.

The trip might seem aimless and pointless at first, (ty explaining it to your parents) but I think you'd be surprised what you learn about other people and especially yourself.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Go to Mexico!

16. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

johan knows how I think. :) You will appreciate life more and at the same time do something meaningful if you reach out to others that don't have the same luxury of travelling the same golden path that you're on. I would suggest volunteering at a soup kitchen for the homeless.
    (If you're bored , you're not challenged.)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  17. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Amusement park :dunno: ?

18. bazzaj

bazzaj New Member

:bowdown:
    Exactly right, my life changed so much for the better after travelling. Broadened my horizons, I'm hooked on it now.

19. johan

johan Active Member

YES! Another graduate from the school of life. Hope the curriculum wasn't too hard.