opinions: 1 HD vs multi

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Johnny Chimpo, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

what are your opinions on have a couple of HDs (say 50 each) vs on big one (say 100-150)?

the only reason i ask is because i figure if one starts to go bad, i can always move data to the other and format the first without data loss.

thanks.

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I think you hit it right on - most people prefer multiple hard drives for backup.

The only thing that limits some people that still use PATA :mamoru: is that you'll run out of ribbon cable (4 device limit without an add-on card).

3. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

That is if you can still move it. I had a harddrive corrupt on me for no reason and all my data was messed up. MP3s were all dead and had errors. Multiple drive is useless unless you run raid.

4. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

mm..no, multiple drive is for backup - meaning...back drive a onto drive b, not "oh shit, drive a is screwed...let me restore my data by moving it to drive b!!!!11"

5. Meat0r

Meat0r New Member

yeah that's right. a 'backup' hard disk isn't going to count for shit unless you manually backup your important data.

with regards to RAID there are stacks of different levels but here's the two you'll probably end up choosing from:

(maximum performance) level 0 = striped disk array without fault tolerance: provides data striping (spreading out blocks of each file across multiple disk drives) but no redundancy. this improves performance but does not deliver fault tolerance. if one drive fails then all data in the array is lost.

(better performance than singular disks and backup is there) level 1 = mirroring and duplexing: provides disk mirroring. level 1 provides twice the read transaction rate of single disks and the same write transaction rate as single disks.

6. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

so no go on that then eh?

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I keep one system (40 gig) and one data (160 gig) drive.

I think it's better to have at least two drives. You can use the system C: drive for Windows and installed programs and use the second drive for data.