opinion on this setup? (shuttle crew?)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by eminem, Dec 1, 2004.

1. eminem

eminem hi

what do you guys think about this? i've wanted a sff and this is one that can have atleast 3 hds in it :o

SPECS:
    Shuttle SB81P
    P4 3.6GHz
    1GB Kingston HyperX DDR CAS 2
    ASUS Radeon X800XT PCI-E
    250GB Maxtor SATA Hard Drive

(dont know about graphics card yet, i may use the integrated one for a bit. but opinions on this card? any better out there?)"

what do you guys think? any and all comments welcome. dont know much about SFFs, but this is my first that i'm going for. good bad? any other better ones out there?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

3.7??? That's gonna get HOT... I wouldn't do it. settle on 3.2 or something.

And hyperx? please no. If you want to fru-fru ram, then get Corsair XMS. The sata drive you want is the Diamond Max 10, right? Not the 9. Make sure on that.

Overall I hate the shuttles. Besides them looking like crap (my opinion) they arn't very good systems. Why not a good micro-atx case and an intel motherboard? much better, imho.

But just so you know, that's a LOT of high-temp stuff to cram into a small cube.

3. eminem

eminem hi

I've been reading reviews on this case of the shuttle, and most of them have put more high-temp stuff in this case and it has runned fine. so that's what I was going by. I will look into it more though, thanks jolly :)

I won't be running hte pc that long, and if I do play games, it might be for like 3-6 hours. the reason why I wanted a sff was because I can take it from home to work and it would not be a problem. so that's why i looked into it

thanks again

4. MP

MP New Member

i love my shuttle, I wouldn't put a p4 in one though.

5. eminem

eminem hi

any reasons why rapture? i saw your thread with yours and it made me want to get one. now i'm going for it and it will be better so I can carry it over to work.

i was also looking at the SN95G5? with the amd64.. would that be a better route with athlon 3500+?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the amds run a lot cooler when compared to the new p4's.

I still feel the shuttles are of poor construction and arn't very quick, but an amd would be better than a p4.

7. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Definately go that way of the Intel Prescott, the A64's run so much cooler than the current Intel chips.
    I have the first shuttle A64 SFF system, and I love it. My system hits a max of 52°c under full load with the case on, my WD 10,000RPM SATA drive and my Radeon 9800pro. Doing it again, I would go with a bigger main drive, I don't know the extra hdd speed is worth the extra noise from the temp controlled fan.