MMA Opinion on BJJ school

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by AMan, Oct 26, 2005.

1. AMan

AMan ???????????

I've been trying to get into a martial art. I did Tae Kwon Do for close to a year and finally realised that it was not getting me anywhere. Being from Western MA, I don't have many choices for good schools. The nearest MT school is about a hour and a half away from me. I did find a BJJ school in the area but am not convinced that it is good. From what I have seen on the website, most of the instructors are purple belts with a few browns and a few of them are wrestling coaches. The founder's name is Marco Alvan and he supposibly is a black belt. What do you guys think?

This is the head founder
    http://www.bjj.org/a/people/alvan-marco.html

This is his school's website
    http://marcoalvanbjj.com/

These people are the instructors
    http://www.marcoalvanbjj.com/Instructors.html

2. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

well in a good BJJ school, if you are a beginner a blue belt should be able to teach you anything you need to know starting off. Purple belts will seem like gods to you once you hit the mat. If there are several brown belts there you are probably in good shape.

that being said you should just go and check it out for yourself. if you get summarily handled by blue belts then you will learn plenty.

3. fighter4life

fighter4life New Member

Seems alright go and try a class see if you like it.

4. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

yeah maestro is right, you have to go there and see for yourself. But the fact that he is a black belt and his lineage is on the bjj.org website is good news. He probably is very very good, and can teach you more than enough.

5. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

On the website, they have an offer for one week of free training.

I'd take them up on that and see what you think. It can't hurt.

6. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

place looks legit....i don't know what your after, but in bjj a purple belt is equivalent to a black belt + in most other arts. A brown is equivalent to a several dan black and a black is typically a 3-4 times a week student for 10 or so years.

It is one of the few arts where the belts truly mean something. Like maestro said a blue can teach you every basic that you would need to know for a couple months. The fact that they actually have wrestling coaches is a big plus.....my only gripe with traditional bjj schools is that their actual shoot and greco wrestling (takedowns, scrambling, clinch) is weak. With traditional wrestling integrated it should be a pretty top notch flavor....

7. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

It sounds like a pretty good school to me. Purple belts + wrestling knowledge :bowdown:

8. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Hell a blue belt is equal to a black belt in most other arts :p

9. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

in terms of time it takes to get one, this is probably true. the bjj black belt is something very highly respected, only the elite have them and for good reason.

10. AMan

AMan ???????????

Very cool. Definatly going to give this a try.

One more question. Since I'm 27, and in somewhat poor shape, what are the chaces of me getting good? The reason I ask is because most people that start either BFF or MT usually start it in their mid to late teens.

11. Placebo

Placebo New Member

The majority of the people I know started BJJ or MT as a young adult. I only know a few people that started in their midteens. Train your ass off and you will get good. There are a lot of people your age that start training and get good.

12. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

You don't need a black belt to be good. Many people start entering tournaments after 6 months and some even start fighting that soon.

13. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

You can work on your level of physical fitness separate from any martial arts training. Being in good physical shape will be an asset in many aspects of day to day life.
    If you want to get in better shape, start with something simple like running. Run a mile or two everyday as a start. It will help your stamina and also help you with the hardest part of working out...which is getting into the habit of doing it.

I myself am fighting the beer gut and excess weight I put on after starting an IT job. Running has been a lifesaver. Starting with a mile is probably the best as it only takes around 10 minutes. You'll find that after a week or two, you'll be getting bored and want to run more.

I'm up to 2-3 miles a day. The thing that helped me was driving from my house to a point that was a certain distance away. You then run that same route and you have a very achievable goal.

The same discipline you show in your workout routine will also translate over into your training. What you put in is what you get out. For example, if you train twice a week, you will perform like someone who trains twice a week.

14. AMan

AMan ???????????

Thanks for all the replys. I'm definatly going to give this a try.

15. AMan

AMan ???????????

I'm putting some time into the physical fitness. I run 2.5 miles about 3 times a week without any issues. I always try to push myself to beat my previous time. On the days that I'm not running, I go to the gym and lift weights.

From what I have read, even people who are in a reasonably good shape and try BJJ, get seriously winded and beat up. I'm thinking that the whole conditioning aspect of BJJ would be a huge obstacle for me. At 1st anyways.

16. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

well the great thing about BJJ is you just get tossed into the mix, and you will adapt pretty quickly. Your own fear or self doubt will hold you back more than your physical condition, and if you stick with it your physical conditioning will improve rapidly.

17. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I got started when I was 23 (turned 24 about 6 months ago), and I'm still not in the best of shape.

Just push yourself hard, you'll get in shape soon enough, my body looks nothing like it did 8 months ago when I started. A lot of people start late and do well, it all depends on how bad you want it.