Opinion on amp kits needed...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Phantasm, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Phantasm

Phantasm OT's Horror movie buff

I am going to install a Kenwood MP3 player deck in my Dakota soon. I also plan on installing a alpine amp to run a 12" sub. The question I have is, is there any real difference between the amp install kits that you see on ebay for $15 or the kits you see in stores for $100? I have Monster cable RCA's, so basicly, Im looking for a power wire & a fuse block only.

Also, I need a small box for the sub itself...Should I buy a pre-made one or make one myself? If I make one myself, how can I get the dimensions that I need to use?

Thanks Fellas.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The kits on ebay for $15 are really really crappy quality. The cable is generally okay, but the interconnects are shit (doesn't matter, because you have your own RCAs) and the fuse holder / distro blocks are utter shit! Do the in-between and go to Walmart... They carry a decent selection of Scosche products. They're not expensive, but are of solid quality. I wouldn't trust the ebay ones at all. You just have to see them to know what I mean! I prefer my vehicle NOT catch fire :mamoru:

I've done 2 installs using Walmart for parts, and I think I've spent $25 for 4awg wire. $10 for fuse/holder. $8 for speaker wire. each time. Pretty cheap for good stuff.

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

4. MovieMan84

MovieMan84 Here we go

I picked up one of these kits on ebay (link) and I'm pretty happy with it. The RCA isn't quite as good as monster cable, but I did hook it up to a noise box with an audio analyzer at work and in all honesty it's really not bad cable. The 4 ga wire and speaker wire also come to 0 ohms within the tolerance of my multimeter. I didn't test the rest of the stuff, but I've been really happy with the performance.

I'm using it to power a 200-watt class A Pioneer Premier GM-X1022 amp driven by a Pioneer deh-p7500mp head unit. The 4ga was overkill for me, but I wanted upgrade room for the future.

5. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I'm using a Stinger kit I bought off eBay and I found no faults. :dunno: I bought my RCA's separately though. But everything else seems to be fine.

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

7. Phantasm

Phantasm OT's Horror movie buff

8. veonake

You mean class A/B.

9. MovieMan84

MovieMan84 Here we go

Good try, but no. Unless Pioneer's documentation is incorrect, I mean the real, honest, no-extra-pair-of-diodes, Class A circuit. Of course their documentation could be wrong, but I've always assumed they were correct. (Or is this some trick of car audio where manufacturers will say Class A to mean Class AB? :ugh: )

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pn...B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

10. veonake

Extra diodes? Well, that is very interesting that they make no mention of Class B anywhere in the specs. I still don't believe it is a pure class A though. It would generate something like 600Watts or more of just pure wasted heat. Class A is incredibly inefficient. It is especially unpractical in car audio where space and ambient heat are bigger considerations. With a home amp you could at least put a huge heatsink on it. That amp doesn't look like it has a monster heat sink. Nowadays most people only use pure class A amps on their tweeters. They are more efficient at higher frequencies.

Class A is turned on for the full 360 degrees of the waveform. Just sitting there doing absolutely nothing it will draw more than 1/2 it's peak speaker current. I would say it is a class AB design, and the reason why they can claim class A, is that it is probably class A from like 0-1watt of power, at which point it converts to class B.

Btw, it is a "trick" of car audio manufacturers to list their amplifiers as class A when they are really AB. I'd call Pioneer and ask. I'm 99% sure it is AB.