Operation ruin Tony

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by Optamix, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Optamix

Optamix New Member

First time back in the gym in 2 months.

I need to go from an out of shape office worker back into a lean mean fighting machine.

The prospect of getting my ass beat in a public venue is good motivation to get back into shape :mamoru:.

Went to the gym for the first time in 2 months today. Cardio held up fine, I could only run when over seas so I did a lot of that. Not exactly like bjj or boxing but it was better than nothing.

After warm ups I did 5x3 min rounds of boxing, swapping partners.

Only 2 were worth boxing, the others were basically punching bags. I'm working on not looking like Arona. Thats all I thought about the entire time was chin down hands up. And lots of head movement. Its a new stance so it felt kind of awkward but I will keep at it.

We worked on North/South escapes today. Most I already knew but drilling it over and over helped.

Rolled 7 times. 5 times with guys better than me, they really pushed me. I tend to give my back to get out of side mount. New guys can't capitalize on it but some of these guys did and made me pay.

Landed some arm bars/triangles from guard. I really have to start playing a top game though.

For wrestling we worked on some single legs. I don't feel as comfortable with single legs as I do the double.

For open wrestling I was working clinch take downs with some success and just blasting a double leg randomly. We only did 2 open sessions. I wasn't taken down either time and got each guy down 3-4 times in 3 min.

My sprawl is meh, it was more they were still kind of new. Next time I will make sure to get paired with more advanced guys.

Overall it was a good day. I was happy that my cardio didn't blow, I didn't sit out for one thing. But my body is pretty sore.

Tomorrow I"m gong to the boxing gym to sign up and Friday morning starts lifting.

For the lifting I'm going to hit the protein shakes and creatine. Not really going to watch my diet until about 2 months out. I just want to get up to around 180. So I'm going to be "lifting big" at least from the onset.

Me and my lifting partner have found some Couture instructionals for circuit training that we are going to switch in once a week.

I'm excited.

Worse case is Tony humiliates me but its the motivation I need to get back in shape and really dedicate my self to this like I used too.

2. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

:rofl:

you know you can just pm the mod and ask him to change the title of your logs

3. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i wouldn't exactly post your weaknesses in your log so tony can read them though...

4. Optamix

Optamix New Member

:run:

5. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

I haven't TALKED to you in too long. Your voice sounded funny.

6. Optamix

Optamix New Member

:squint:

Yours did too. :mamoru:

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Ive got some nice boxing instructionals here too let me know if you want them and Ill upload them.

8. teep

teep New Member

what do they show?

9. Optamix

Optamix New Member

yes :)

10. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

IN for tony ruining you. :mamoru:

11. Optamix

Optamix New Member

:hs:

12. TCMS

TCMS OT Supporter

I want to fight someone, preferably female, and under 150 pounds.

13. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Hillary is your man.

Get it?

Shes not really a man.

That was the joke.

14. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

in for instructionals too

I'm really interested in how other boxing gyms are run. I go to an almost free boxing gym and I'm wondering how it compares to a pay gyms. In for your boxing gym writeups.

15. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Today was my first morning lifting weights.

My partner did not show up.

Wouldn't be that big of a deal if HE DIDN'T HAVE THE FUCKING KEY TO THE GYM.

I should JUST now be waking up :mad:

16. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Instructionals are on the way up bloody slow for some reason will link as soon as they are complete.

17. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I finally have a boxing coach and a wrestling coach.

Went to a new gym today and got all set up with him. He has a good gym, very rocky style.

I rolled a few times, worked on my take downs and maintaining top position. I was semi successful.

Then I did 3x3 min MMA rounds with a fighter that has a fight coming up. He was about 210lbs.

I took him down, and did some GnP, he eventually worked his way back up then took me down after a brief punching exchange, stayed on top.

2nd and 3rd round were similar. I gassed out in the middle of the second round. Thats just going to take time.

Im excited about this gym, I will be there Tues/Thurs/Sunday to train with their guys. Its a straight Boxing/Wrestling gym. They just started to play with MMA themselves.

18. SaviouR

SaviouR Dallas - Choke City :(

I demand footage of your training.

Before the fight starts I'll release a Rocky-esque montage of it with your choice of what Rocky song you want.

I recommend Hearts on Fire...and you to scream out "TONYYYYYYYY!!!" on top of a Minnesota mountain.

19. Optamix

Optamix New Member

haha, in a month or two after getting back in the grove of things I'll start filming some.

Right now I feel like I barely know how to roll. 2 months off ftl :hs:

What I did today.

Wrestling. Worked a single underhook, to mule kick then worked the ankle pick or front head lock from there.

Then we drilled single underhook to single leg.

In free wrestling I went with someone slightly better than last time. He got me with one single leg. The rest of the stuff I sprawled out of. I took him down 3 times with double legs. He got out of my one single leg attempt.

I only went one time during that.

For MMA we did mount escapes, and holding mount.

When we went live my partner wasn't especially good, I had no problem getting up.

When I was on top I beat the holly shit out of him, he never got me off.

Its been a bad bad week, I'm very upset about a lot of things going on right now. I shouldn't have done this. But torturing this kid for 5 min made me feel better. And it will make him better too...right? :dunno:

For bjj we worked side mount to americana. I already knew how to do this, this was for the new guys so me and some of the other blue belts were showing each other some moves, I worked some more north/south escapes.

For rolling I made sure to only roll with people better than me today. And I was only going to work for top position, I've got to break my self of the guard pulling crap.

I submitted exactly zero people. But I didn't just totally get ran over, but it was hard to stay on the offensive.

My body is dead today, sleep will be good, going to the boxing/wrestling gym tomorrow for 4 hours. That should be good.

20. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Went to the new wrestling gym today for my first lesson.

Went over pummeling, arm drag to single leg, wizard/cross face single leg defense and he worked with me one some mistakes I was making with my double leg shot.

then proceeded to get the shit kicked out of me in kickboxing sparing.

it hurts :(

21. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Update from Thursdays practice.

Came in and warmed up 3 rounds with a pure boxer in the ring.

He had been doing it from a year straight. He looked great on the pads(intimidated me a little) but in the ring he was so scared to get hit I just had my way with him.

First round we could only jab. Second round on 1-2 combos. 3rd round was go at it. He was in head gear and I was using 16 ounce gloves. Him being that scared means he should probably find a new sport.

The entire time I worked on my form, chin down and hands up. Also worked on slipping punches and countering.

We did 3x3 min rounds. It was a good warm up.

Then I did an hour of work on the focus mits. Worked on my form more, combos, and foot work. Learned how to roll under punches and pivoting to cut an angle to attack again. Drilled this until I could barely move my arms and my legs ached. This is the kind of training I've never gotten before. I can see how this will help my punching accuracy and evasion. Again with the chin down and hands up. In a few months I might not look like Arona any more. :run:

Then the coach had to go, he had an appointment to do something. The russian guy came back in.

We did 3x4 min MMA rounds.

Stand up he broke me again. I got a few decent jabs on him, never landed my right. We were going around 70%. I worked on slipping his punches but he was tearing me up with leg kicks. Finally he hit 3 in a row really quickly that put me down.

After that I got back up I shot for a take down, he stuffed it, and pulled guard and he cracked me hard.(see black eye post in the cage).

During the break he told me that I wasn't going to get him down, and that I had to learn to find range with him. He is forcing me to get out of the bjj mindset of take down, even if it is on the bottom. He asked me what was better. To end up on my back where I will lose, or stand where I could land a strong punch? He has a point. The next 2 rounds were much of the same. I finally got a take down(clinch) that durring the scramble to get up I got his back. Got my leg triangle in and got some good punches, but couldn't get the choke. That was the last round I believe.

Afterwards he went over with me how to defend the leg kicks. Not just checking them. But catchign them(while defending the high kick) and land the overhand right. We drilled that for about 20 min.

After that I was done and left.

I might not be up to a hard session today, after the break up I got most of my calories from beer over the weekend. Body isn't feeling to hot today.

But I'm still going to fight. Head is on a bit straighter now and I'm not letting girl drama detour me from my passion.

22. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Went to the gym yesterday, and no one was there. WTF.

23. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

i hate that, i went to the gym sat, since most of the time its open gym unless if one of my coaches he wants to teach, and nobody was there. so i just worked out by myself.

24. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Ok, first off. No matter how good of an idea it seems...mixing your protein with milk before your work out because it will taste better is a bad idea, okay? Ok, now that that is clear.

Get to the gym and there is a big crowd today. Unfortunatly I'm either 10lbs heavier, or 20 lbs lighter than everyone there. Of course I get stuck with the big guys.

We start out with some light sparing to warm up after we stretch out.

So I'm going with a 205 fighter and about 30 seconds in he goes fucking Chuck Liddell on me. WTF mate?! So I fire back a few hard kicks and punches, but hes got 40 lbs on me. He nails me again and I finally go head hunting. I clinch in and get his back/side and as we seperate and hit him with 2 hard right hooks.(I ate a few hard ones as I was clinching in too). I figure he figured out to chill, that I was going to hit back if he kept doing it. But he didn't. Coach tells us to tone it down so I go back to 40% or so and working on combos. He nails me with a huge body kick that almost makes me puke, I about died.

We rotate out 4 times doing MMA stuff. I'm working on my take downs and not being on my back, but against the bigger guys its really hard. I do ok, nothing great. I don't get submited or pounded out but I didn't get much of an offense on.

I get switched over to the lighter guys. One is a good wrestler, one is a good kickboxer.

Both of them I just took them down(the kickboxer by a double leg and then took his back) and the wrestler by clinching, pulling guard and sweeping.

Submited both of them a few times, but they are fairly new to the BJJ game.

Then I got paired with a wrestling coach. Hes mid 30's and built like a tank, about 170lbs. We were just doing take downs. He made me feel like I was moving in slow motion. Jesus...my TD defense was no where to be seen. It was an eye opener.

After that I took about 30 min and worked with both of the newer guys on some basic bjj stuff I noticed they were doing wrong.

Then a wrestler showed up that had been doing bjj for about 6 months or so and just wanted to roll. I was in a bjj mood so even as we started I would stay low and work on pulling guard and sweeping.

A few times he wanted to start on his back with me in his guard. I didn't have much problem with him, he was strong and explosive but still pretty new to the bjj thing.

I worked with him on some stuff. At one point I threw up in my mouth and had to swallow it, submitted him with an electric chair, and then ran to the bathroom to puke. It was pretty awesome.

Overall it was a hard practice. Lots of sparring matches and rolls. I'm worn the fuck out.

25. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Mostly just bjj today, which is good because I've neglected it some.

Really worked on my half guard sweeps and submissions today. I'm getting into a eddie bravo kick with the rubber guard and electric chair.

Did a bit of stand up today with some douches that came in the gym, I just tooled him.

Tomorrow Im bringing my gi top to learn some Sambo from Min, I'm excited.