Operation Jew Jitsu

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by FloppyCock, May 1, 2008.

1. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

I'm going to try Krav Maga out for a few months, see how it treats me. If it sucks, I can always find an MMA school around here.

Anyways, first day was standard MMA style stuff. Decent warmup, hitting the heavy bag, light sparring, bit of ground work, and then a bit of conditioning. It was fun, and it felt good to train again.

2. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

3. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

:rofl:

Nice usertext.

4. smartypants

smartypants New Member

It's been the most practical form I have learned.

5. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Krav Maga is awesome, but I think after a year or two its good to move onto something with a more strict technique like boxing, MT, etc.

6. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:cool:

7. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

It took me long enough, but work eased up so I went in for another class.

This time was much more conditioning and drills. Again, it felt like standard (or sub-standard) MMA stuff. The guy I was drilling with kept pausing mid-drill to adjust my pad holding technique, and I was really looking forward to sparring with him when class ended. No fun for me :wtc:

8. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

We finally did something non-MMA: stick/club defense. It was only the beginning, so it was pretty low intensity, just to go through the motions of it. It actually felt like it had a chance of working, too.

What they taught was to close the gap as fast as possible, holding out one arm to cover your head and using the other one to punch the guy in the face. Once you get close in, the stick/club isn't very useful, and is pretty easy to take away.

I'll have to try it full speed to be convinced, though, because I'm pretty sure if a guy went for my stick/club like that, I'd just use my free hand to hit him. I'm reserving judgment until I try it in a live setting because it really could go either way.

A fun drill we do is protecting the heavy bag. One guy guards the bag, the other guy's purpose in life is to get past him and hit the bag. When I was defending, I just rushed the guy, took him down and controlled him. I thought it was clever (best defense is a good offense, etc), but the instructor told me I shouldn't assume it would be just me and the other guy. The objective was to defend the bag, not necessarily to stop one guy from hitting it. When two people tried for the bag, I had a much harder time keeping them away from it.

What I'm still impressed with is the openness of the people here. The other non-wrestling place I went to had instructors that seemed uncomfortable being around a wrestler. They took every opportunity to discredit grappling and groundfighting. Here, though, they're big fans of it, albeit at a lower skill level than a BJJ place.

9. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

More standard MMA stuff, at a really beginner level. I'm not really learning anything, which would be fine if we sparred a lot, but we only did once so far.

On the bright side, I got called out after class. While I was stretching my back, a french guy flexing in front of the mirror with his shirt off asked me if I wanted to fight. I asked him if he meant right now. He rolled his eyes at me and said "no, tomorrow. Of course right now."

It seriously took all of my effort not to smile at this point. I asked him if he wanted to wrestle instead, and of course he agreed. We had a little viewing section and everything. Long story short, I ran a clinic, which isn't saying much because he probably had almost no grappling experience. It was a nice ego boost, and he took it like a man and even asked for pointers. But I'll be goddamned if it wasn't the most well deserved choke festival I have ever been present at.

On the down side, I pulled a muscle in my neck pretty bad sometime during the class, and I might have to sit out for a week or two to let it heal. Not wrestling for three months left me pencil necked.

If we don't get to the Jack Bauer shit soon, I might find a nice MMA place and get my ass kicked properly.

10. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

krav maga in israel is supposed to be the real shit

keep us updated :big grin: