Operation: Find new gym, learn some bjj

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by HouseLing, Jul 17, 2008.

1. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

today im going to go check out some gyms, get the feel for them and try a schedual to try out a class or two.

so i wanted to leave at 5, but my gf, who is going to go with me and try out a class or two and see if its something she is interested in, started watching a rerun of the home run derby and refuses to leave even though i have told her how it ends :mad: she just wants to see how many hamilton hits!

ok, he is done with the first round, hopefully we can go now:rolleyes:

2. HouseLing

so ended up checking out www.jokerswildfighting.com first. got there halfway through the womens kickboxing class and sat down to watch. my gf was fairly into it, called it bootcamp :mamoru: they got worked pretty hard. i was talking to a couple of the guys that were showing up for the bjj class next, and they were saying thats some of the hardest they had gotten worked. was definately more of a workout than a tequnique night. after the class was over, talked to the instructor for awhile before he started up the bjj class.

watched that for awhile, didnt get a whole lot out of it, didnt really expect to. they did some takedown practice with partners, all wrestling takedowns, didnt see any judo. some of the guys looked really smooth. then 15 min of drills on submissions from guard, just same thing 10 times, switch, then do the same for another. then started working on something from side control. a 10 or 5 finger choke, looked like a guillitne from where i was watching, but used the hands under the chin :dunno: that was about the time we had to head to the next place.

went to www.ocjj.com next. wasnt able to spend much time here, definately more of a dojo feel than a mma gym feel. was bjj night, so everybody was in a gi. might stop in tomarrow and see how the atmosphere is when its mma night, didnt get any sort of feel for the place except it seemed fairly busy.

thats it for today, had to eat and come home to sleep :hs:

going to head to jokers wild tomarrow to meet with joker as the gf wants to meet him, might sign up for the free week and see how it goes :dunno: the gf definately liked the atmosphere there better.

3. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

good luck man.. where in socal are you? socal should be like bjj heaven

4. HouseLing

I'm in southern orange county. Rancho Santa Margarita to be precise. Its as close as you can get to the middle of nowhere in OC. Not close to any freeways.

Anyways, went to Allan Goes school today. Nice guy. Took a class, was pretty fun. Only got to work with Allan for a little bit as he was teaching another class at the time.

Didnt expect to actually take the class, so didnt make it to jokers place today like we wanted. The new plan is to head back to Allans place first tomarrow and find out more details before heading to jokers.

5. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

nice.. keep us updated.. what's your prior experience with bjj?

6. HouseLing

little to none. I did kempo for over two years before I took an 8 month break. We did on average 30 min of bjj a week:dunno: so I know basics, like a few ways to gain position and avoid submissions, mostly to survive against someone with little training long enough to be able to get up and stomp them wandy style :hs:

7. HouseLing

today i went in just to talk, ended up with a 2 hour no-gi bjj class. before i could even say anything he asked "did you bring your shorts?" the only thing im going to say to that is "yes sir". now i have matburn on my knee and top of my foot, gf said i have a bigass bruise around my kidney area but i cant feel anything, bruise on the top of my shoulder that i can feel, got and tore a blister on my big toe that takes up about 2/3 of it, and scraped a bunch of skin off my lip with my own teeth. tired, gonna be sore tomarrow, and happy. :bigthumb:

had what i would call a light warmup today, didnt wind me and im 8 months out of shape. later one of the guys mentioned that fridays were pretty casual, so i hope that changes.

started off with takedowns. started off with a throw i know more than one variation of from kempo, so that wasnt too bad. basically a judo throw from the half clench of whatever you want to call it, where you both start with one hand on the back of the neck and one hand on their bicep. standard bjj starting position i take it. handwork was diffrent, but the idea was the same, so wasnt too bad.

after that we worked it off a transition to another throw when they defended. a single leg type that i have no practice with, so was having trouble with the finish. i think it had to do with squeezing my knees around their leg. next, again transitioning to yet another takedown when they defend both. found this one much easier than the second one.

after that we moved to helicopter armbars, not new to armbars, but new to this particular one. pretty good, got the hang of it after a couple trys, timing counts for alot. alot of little things that allan and my partner pointed out on my armbar that helped. keep the leg hard across their face, keep my hips closer to their shoulder are the ones that stuck the most. confident in this, given the correct circumstances.

next we worked on an arm triangle i belive. something pretty new to me, have done variations standing, but nothing like a proper one. was fun, again, alot of little things pointed out, like the placement of an elbow a couple inches one way or the other helping so much in sinking the choke, controlling their arm and head with pressure from your own head. cool stuff, i love learning little details of tequnique. why mean just as much as how to me, as if you understand why you can open things up on how and when. did ok, need a lot more practice making everything smooth and flowing, have the basic motions down with minimal resistance.

next we went to a transition off this when they defend and are able to get their arm out. basically ended up in a kimora with your leg locking their hand while you are controling their head with your arms. pretty cool, but way ahead of me, can see the movements to get position, and understand the finish, but not the actual implementation and transitions to get from the setup position to locking their arm arnt really understood.

after that we moved on to free rolling. needless to say i got tapped alot, and my successes of stalling and escaping from submissions were few and far between. had a bit better success at forcing positions from my knees, but could rarely hold on to it for more than a couple minuets, and never got to mount. was able to escape from some positions, but lost every scramble i forced. one of the instructors (having two black belt instructors for eight students is pretty cool) took me aside and gave me some pointers on pulling guard from being mounted, some tips on gaining positions like dont try for big moves, try for little bits at a time, he explained it as shaking and rocking into positions, didnt have much luck at it to be honest, but the tip will come in helpfull im sure, once i get more skill and experiance. it makes sence, just lack the skill to impliment it ;)

anyways, had fun, learned a lot, got beat up, so im happy and sore. spent 2 hours in the hot tub once we got back to my girlfriends house and had tacos :bigthumb:

8. HouseLing

so everythings on hold as my work schedual is fubar this week. another thing, at allan goes academy today the nog brothers are having a seminar, if i had the money there would be no way i would miss it, its pretty cheap at $75:wtc:

9. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Man, you can FIND that much cash for that seminar, damn! Don't get frustrated man, you're brand new. Hell, I'm still brand new after 2 years....frustration doesn't help anything!

10. HouseLing

so, good news is, i tapped someone today for the first time in actual rolling :h5: was in his guard, sitting up. he sits up and trys to pull me back down, i grab one of his hands with both of mine, fold his arm up, and put him in a wristlock, we were both pretty supprized. havnt seen anything like that taught yet, although obviously my class time is limited, its fairly common in kempo from a standing position :o so im happy.

was a good day overall. 2 hours of open mat, could have stayed for more but had to go get ready for a birthday party :hs: im trying to remember specific tips that we went over this morning, but my mind is going blank. only thing i can remember is working on a guillitine at the beginning of class. tryed to slip that in a couple of times, but could never get their head deep enough to make it effective.

getting positioning was easier today on the people near my skill level, got a nice compliment from a purple belt whos guard i couldnt pass for anything in the world. said i had the right idea, just seemed unsure of myself and itll come with experiance. which is true, even when i do get position, i dont know enough to actually submit someone :hs: still, progressing on it :bigthumb:

friday, which was the first day back from my sucky week(that turned into two) was good. had an exhausting workout, which i enjoy. short but hard.

after that worked on takedowns for the beginning of the class, then worked a couple things from turtle position. not much to say on them, should have written it down last night after class, but didnt have the time.

really need to start keeping a notebook like i did with kempo, have two big three ring binders full of notes, hoping to use this as the same thing, since i can just type it on my phone after class. we will see!

fun times :bigthumb:

11. HouseLing

no worry anyways, i think during the time of the seminar, i was asleep trying to change my sleeping pattern around after working 10pm-6am monday and tuesday nights, to go in thursday at 5.30am :madfawk:

12. HouseLing

"I was working out harder than you! All you do is tackle each other to the ground and lay around and hug each other and rest!" :rofl: my chick after her first kickboxing class.

Anyways, it was freakin hot in there today. Everyone was dripping sweat after a light warmup. Worked on takedowns and counters to them fir the first part of class. One thing about it, I'm used to hitting the ground when practiceing takedowns, here we don't finish fire the most part, one in five. It is a bjj class though :dunno: just something a little differnt, would like to roll from the feet sometimes, not just from the knees.

Next we did work from the guard. First worked on a sweep, was amazeingly easy to do when applied properly :bowdown: with your right hand up underneath their collar, and your left hand on their right elbow. Shrimp to the left while pushing their arm the other way.

Then worked a shoulder lock and armbar variations from the same grip. Noticeimg a theme here, anything we work in class, is from the same grip and setup, just different variations based on their reactions to what you to. :bigthumb:

Rolling at the end I got worked :o went against a marine who while it was only his second day(my fifth), trained in japan for 2+ years. Strong and fast, kept getting my back and choking me:hs: other guy was a white belt, probobly 235 max, quick and couldn't pass half guard on him without useing my considerable size and strength advantage, which I really didn't want to do. Ended up getting triangled three times :o. Wasn't able to apply anything learned in the class portion to this, so a little annoyed at that.

Short class today, was only able to stay for an hour. More tomarrow!

13. HouseLing

make that 135, not 235 for the whitebelt :o

And yeah, I understand why, just different. I'm used to hitting the ground slot in training. :hs:

14. HouseLing

:nono: mebbie when i make a cribs movie like all the cool people ill show her sleeping. of course, she would stab me or cut something off, she is messican :noes:

15. HouseLing

last night was a good night, worked a lot of tequnique. Worked on takedowns first and finally took people to the mat. Falling on a mat is slot easier than on thin carpet like I'm used too :o. Got complimented on my uchee mata (spelling sucks, I can barely spell english let alone japanese) and double leg. Most of the time I was working with a big bluebelt, which is good because I can't overpower him and have to get the tequnique and balance right.

Next we moved to guard passes. Worked the same one for a good 15-20 min. Bring your knee to his ass, then pop it through his legs. With your hands you grab his belt or pants in the crotch area and use your elbows to spread his legs with pressure from the inside. (Need to learn more guard passes since once I got the hang of it and we started practiceing harder it was easy for him to block it :o). Once the legs were open and my knee was through, scoop my arms underneath his legs and stack him up. Then put a hand across his neck and into his collar and hold him close. Apply pressure with my other hand to his leg and slip along the other way. (Need to get better at keeping pressure on someone while I move). Eventually your head just pops fee of his other leg and you end up in side control.

After that we did a bunch of rolling. Felt I did good, was able to advance my position a couple of times, and keep the other guy out of the position he was working for. The higlight was on the last roll, against the same blue belt. He had my back and was trying to collar choke me, really made him work for it for a couple minuets, although he could have slid into a RNC if he wanted with less effort :o At the end he was saying he couldn't get the choke in and was trying to figgure out what to do, untill he found he just had to push my head forward :hs: also defended against a triangle pretty well, didn't get choked and got out after I thought he had it in.

A good night, everyone I rolled with and practiced with was very helpfull and go a lot of good advice. :bigthumb:

16. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

:h5: good times man.

17. HouseLing

:wavey: I'm so tired, let's see if I can remember what all we did...

Medium warmup
    Takedowns

I really can't think about the rest right now, more tomarrow.