Opera 9.5 > *

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by P07r0457, Jun 13, 2008.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I had already been using the beta for a while... but I've been using the final release of Opera 9.5 all day yesterday and this morning, and I'm happy to report it kicks fucking ass. The only issues I've had is some intermitent quirks in css rendering when using the back button. Overall speed is excellent, and I love the new default skin. Bravo, Opera. Great work!

I suggest you all give it a try!

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Hmm. Never used Opera. I'll look into it today. I've been happy with Firefox, but always open to great software.

I have Opera on my blackberry, but find it challenging at times to use..

3. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

It's ok, I used it alot for 9.3

The thing that kills it for me was the lack of any decent ad blocker... using css rules is a bitch.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Cool... I'm running 9.26. I'll be upgrading today...

5. SoTexasOutlaw

SoTexasOutlaw OT Supporter

I was using opera but it wont open myspace and it wont let me use the search engine.

6. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Opera 9.5 Final is brilliant. It looks like they've merged all bugs and fixes from earlier branches into it, because all the minor problems that reappeared in the betas are gone.

I love the new skin too.

With all the excellent work the other modern browsers are doing, I was considering maybe switching. But now Opera is back on top of their game; the speed, the brilliant interface, standards compliance, the best features out of the box, the stability and small footprint. I think it'll stay as my default browser.

7. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Is there a decent flash blocker and ad blocker? The kind that is as easy to add on as in firefox?

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

There is already an ad blocker built-in. You should be able to right click the content and select block content. I'm not sure if that works for flash too though.

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i'm pretty happy with firefox on my macbook. only quirks are:
    that the spell check dictionary is missing some words
    when i go to save a password - i cannot use the arrow key to select the option to select between never and remember (windows firefox works fine)
    also, i can't tab to a drop down box. this pisses me off because i always have to click on the state and select OH or type O for ohio. the fact that i can't tab to it and hit O makes me mad because the windows version of firefox allows this. so does safari

i only use safari on my mac to check links. i'll have to try out opera sometime soon

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I dunno. I find on average one new Firefox plugin a month that's useful to me. No doubt Opera can roll out new features that fast, but whether they roll out ones I want is another matter. Possibly the best FF plugin ever is ieTab, so I can do multiple-browser testing from the same window.

Nonetheless, I'm installing Opera 9.5 to see if it's really all that. I know I've got 8.0 on my Windows CE machine, because it's the only browser for that platform that doesn't completely suck, but I doubt it will offer me anything on x86 that will convince me to switch.

EDIT: Well, it is pretty, I'll give it that. I can respect a company that thinks the user interface is worth paying any attention to.

11. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Just upgraded and I'm digging the new look.

I tried Firefox before, but i found myself spending more time looking for what plugins were available for it than actually using it. Opera has everything I need built-in. Even IE has that in most cases for me at least..

12. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Opera shows the value of a dedicated closed-source team.

I've always been impressed with the way the user interface works, including the menus and shortcuts. The problem is that you won't notice these until you start to use the browser long enough and explore things.

Some of the good built-in stuff is

Speed Dial
    trash can (recover closed tabs and entire sessions with Undo)
    Powerful threaded mail and newsfeed client
    Download manager including native BitTorrent support
    FireBug-like debugger suite (Dragonfly)
    Widgets framework
    IRC chat
    fast history search
    bookmark sync over the web
    Intuitive Ad Block
    Voice recognition control and voice read-out
    One-click search engine creation and integration
    Mouse gestures
    Rewind and Fastforward (intuitively detects where you might go next so you can just hit the Forward button on your mouse to go to next page or next thread)

A lot of features I don't think about and will miss from this list because there's so many and I'm used to having them now.

While a lot of this stuff isn't new, the Opera team are the ones that innovated most of them. And nearly all of these will require an extension in other browsers.

They squeeze all this in, while keeping it stable and freaking fast and with no memory problems.

The only problem is that some sites simply won't work in Opera for lack of testing, but you can always use right click > Open With > choose from the list of auto-detected installed browsers (including pretty icons).

The weak point of Opera is probably the lack of extensibility like FireFox extensions, but this is also a strength. You can do a hell of a lot with user javascript (I think Dragonfly is mostly done this way, and I suspect Opera may be gearing up to put some sort of plugin system in place).

Customisation is done with user javascript and tweaking ini files.

Seriously, it rocks.

IMO, Opera is far and away the best browser in every way. However, if you simply can't get stuff on Opera that you need from various Extensions for FireFox, then FireFox is still for you.

13. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

Some of the Opera 9.5 snapshots were really screwed up for me, so I was stuck on 9.2x for a while. The latest betas fixed all the main issues I was having, so I was running the beta as my primary browser for the last couple of months. The main reason I originally switched to Opera was because Firefox 2 was slow for OSX. Firefox 3 is quite fast now, but I've just grown to love Opera so much that I'm sticking with it.

14. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

how can i make switching between the tabs like in firefox where you hit apple+tab# ?

option + tab is not all that efficient

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Firefox is the browser I love to hate. So many people go to it and think it's the hottest thing since sliced bread and run around like moses come down from the mountain to tell everyone about this cool browser that isn't msie. Well shit, son. I've been using opera as my primary browser since version 5. so don't talk to me about msie alternatives.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i use "1" to move left, and "2" to move right.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you haven't had to use css rules at all since version 9 became official (or was it 8.5?) right click > block content.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Opera does out-of-box a solid 95% of what firefox needs a plugin for. That functionality is already included in opera.

[​IMG]

Honestly, I think it's such a night/day difference from msie and firefox that I don't understand how people can't love it. Honestly, even Safari feels better than msie and firefox. firefox is so obviously bloated and heavy. it's also the exact opposite of elegant. Opera is elegant. It so remarkably powerful, yet feels so light-weight.

They have thought about much more than just the gui. their customizability is astonishing. And when you consider that its signifigantly more stable than firefox (no memory leaks, and no browser hacks, and no plug-ins to ruin stability, either) it's a no-brainer.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Very true. It's obvious they had some planning meetings. I like OSS, but to say closed-source is without merit is simply foolish. Some of the best software is closed-source.

very true.

it's funny because many of the plugins people rave about for firefox started as standard features in opera :mamoru:

:werd: great product.

I find that most of that don't work are because the site develops abused user-agent detection. I find that adjusting the site preferences will usually get the site working. Otherwise, I just open that one site in safari.

[​IMG]

It's defnitely a strength. I can't think of many plugins for firefox that opera doesn't already do, or that I couldn't live without. And by not letting 3rd party software hook in to critical functions, Opera keeps their product stable, and secure.

:werd:

I think if someone falls in that category, they really need to reevaluate their usage of a web-browser.

20. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What I like about Firefox, mainly, is that I can get exactly the features I want and nothing more. It might not make a difference from a memory-usage standpoint, but I really hate having extra buttons and menu items that I never use. I'm willing to give up some elegance for conciseness.

Also, Firefox 3 is much, much better about its memory usage. One of the things they specifically focused on was trapping memory leaks in plugins. I haven't had it crash once since beta 3.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Opera lets you customize the features to give as much of a rich environment, or minimalist environment, as you like.

Here you can choose what toolbars to display:
    [​IMG]

Here you can choose what buttons to display, and you can drag them between whatever toolbars you want:
    [​IMG]

And here's what my rather "minimalist" interface looks like:
    [​IMG]

22. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Alright, checking it out. I've been underwhelmed by past Opera releases, but maybe 9.5 will convert me. :dunno:

23. bilmind

bilmind Licka' Licka' High

Not the usual Opera upgrade. Very nice appears to be very nice.

24. PcH

PcH Guest

Time for me to try this out in HH. FF3b5 has been meh.

25. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

So far, I've got mixed feelings. Manually having to block content is a pain in the ass. There are also times where it seems to hang up while loading a page, and I have to hit refresh.

It's also got a bigger memory footprint than ff3rc3 on my laptop, as well.

It does have a better 'feel' to it than FF, though.

If they ever implement automatic ad blocking, I might switch over... Until then, though, I think I like FF better. But I'm going to keep trying it out for a week or so before I make a final decision.