OpenSource Trobule Ticket Software

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Boogieman117, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

Due to the good response I got from my website thread, I'm going to ask the power of OT another question, this time, work related. :rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me of a free and/or opensource trobule ticket software program? The place where I work is getting busy enough that our IT department has been letting simple issues fall through the cracks, and our technicians usually forget/don't have the 'hit list' to target the small issues.

I'd like it to be something I can run on a Windows 2000 Pro box that can be seen through a network or UNC path. Since it's going to be in-house, would I need to install Perl/MySQL/PHP/etc on the 'ticket box' in order to run what I need?

I'm trying to mold it after Asset Navigator, but the IT department budget in a library is slim to none and we simply can't afford $1,000+ software to follow issues.

Any feedback would be nice. Thanks in advance. :bowdown::bowdown:

2. optendo

optendo The next generation of console gaming!

I did a quick search on sourceforge.net and found this.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/myticket
    Seem pretty good and it has a high rank. Now the project has stopped developement but that doesn't me it isn't good. You'll need php and MySQL.

Good Luck

3. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

There is a couple out there.

OTRS - http://otrs.org/

RT - http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/

Cerberus HelpDesk - http://www.cerberusweb.com/

My company uses OTRS, but we use it incorrectly. We started out using it just to get a ticketing system up and going apparently. Now they took it and expanded it so much that our call centers are using it..

I recommend either looking at RT or Cerberus. Cerberus is very simple and pretty easy to setup, and it looks like RT is something that once you set it up. You can really expand on it.

4. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

I played around with osTicket a little bit. Not bad, very simple, free.

http://www.osticket.com/

Requires PHP and MySQL.

5. Boogieman117

Ok, I plan on installing this on a plain jane Windows 2000 networked computer.

Will I need to install IIS on it in order for IE to see it? I've installed ActivePerl on the box, just in case, and will have to look for a MySQL d/l link from somewhere and put it on the box as well..

6. Boogieman117

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I am still a bit confused..

I've looked at the above solutions, and they seem to work pretty well for 'remote' server hosts that are already set to go with Perl, MySql, etc.

I've also been playing with Apache 2.2, so that I'd have a server to 'serve' the actual software. My only problem now is: Do I just d/l and install MySQL and Perl on a box with Apache, and pray to Fazle that it'll all work out smoothly or is there any thing I've have to work out first?

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It's by no means perfect but most of our problems come in via email. We move them to a joint mailbox that we all have access to, then flag the message with our assigned color to signify we're working on it. We thought about the whole ticket system but then there's the whole transferring the info from email into the system (geting people to enter the problem into some kind of form would have been like pulling teeth).

8. Boogieman117

I appreciate the idea, that's kind of the idea that we've got going, but it doesn't allow the users to know what the IT dept is doing about problem x. I'm looking for something that the staff can look at and say "Oh, Jack ordered a new cartridge for the printer. I won't send him 10,000 e-mails telling him again that we're going to run low in 2,000 pages."

Thanks for the input! :bigthumb:

9. Boogieman117

10. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Hehe - yeah - you have way more faith in your users than we do - we've created a whole intranet site with how-to's, documentation, contacts etc, and it's set thru group policies as their home page. Suffice it to say, people still don't realize we HAVE an intranet site. :)

11. mace

mace i don't read

12. Boogieman117

13. mace

mace i don't read

14. Boogieman117