OpenGL texture glitch help *video*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CodeX, Dec 3, 2009.

1. CodeX

CodeX Guest

So this is a project from school I just found on an old burnt CD, after checking it out for nostalgia sake I noticed this going on... and remembered I never figured it out back then and kind of forgot about it. This isn't like me, and now I must know.

What the crap is going on here? When you get close to the object the texture completely changes... this is a very high def texture I am using, it is 4000x2000 pixels, it shouldn't look like that no matter how close you get to it (what I mean is, the surface will pass the near clip plane before you get close enough to pixelate an image of that resolution to that degree).

I am using GL_NICEST for the texture minification and magnification filters...

If you can't see what I am talking about you can go to youtube and watch the HD version.

[y]jvmPQHv-6z8[/y]

Oh I should also mention, this doesn't occur with any of the other planet textures... but some of them are equally large. Is this a non-power of 2 thing?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
  2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

OT-OGL Developers Croo, an army of 1.

Oh well, maybe some random youtube retard will know... :mamoru:

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

doesn't look like a quality problem. it appears that it's being mapped to the sphere wrong? almost looks like it's "stretching" it around

it's been a LONG time since i've done any OGL so everything has probably changed anyway

4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well, I know if you don't setup the surface normals correctly the texture can be mapped incorrectly, but on top of being fairly certain they are correct (for a sphere, OGL handles it for you with an API function) it would also affect the texture no matter how far the camera was from it... it's the dependency on distance from the camera that is key to figuring this out I think, oh well... I've asked on a couple of more appropriate forums so we'll see.

In any case I moved on to D3D since then, it just bothers me when something unpredictable happens and I can't figure it out.