OpenGL in Vista

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Saicho, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Saicho

Saicho New Member

I'm having a problem with an app made in C++ that uses OpenGL. This is a simple app that loads an image, and can apply a few simple brushes (think photoshop) onto an originally black canvas. When I release the mouse button the brush changes should stay on the black canvas (at least this is what happens on WinXP) but they do not stick on Vista.

My question is - is this a problem with Vista? I heard some stuff about OpenGL and Vista not being 100% compatible. Is there a way to fix this? Any info can help, ty!

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Vista says: FUCK You, Sucka! Use DirectX.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Give it time, they'll make a new version of OpenGL that runs on Vista.

EDIT: Peyomp, I thought you'd be interested to know that FasterFox is telling me my pages are loading in under 2 seconds apiece. I could kick the slider up another notch and get it below a second, but I don't want to be rude.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Its not openGL's responsibility to 'make a new one' that runs on Vista. Its vista's responsibility to support the standard.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

not if they want everybody to ditch ogl for dx ;o

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Right, which is what I meant by "Fuck you" from Vista.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

(yawn)

...whatever...

(scratch)

...it's the application designer's responsibility to ensure that it runs on the target operating system, even when something drastic happens to the operating system's architecture like the switch from OS9 to OSX. The one caveat is that consumers can piss and moan and boycott the single operating system much more easily than they can do the same to hundreds of different applications, so there is room for flexibility, but by no means is the foundation to blame if the house collapses because the builders didn't secure it properly.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

His code works one place, it should work everywhere. They're called standards. Vista broke the standard. Vista's fault. And its not an accident.