GUN Open Glock update 10-23-08

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by yar1182, Oct 24, 2008.

1. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The open glock project moved forward today. Got the slide milled for the doctor sight and the doctor installed. Barsto match barrel fitted and it is tight. Got the window for the slide cut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The material to make the compensator comes in sometime next week. Once the comp is made the rest of the slide will be milled to match the comp (tri flat, front cocking serrations, etc). The sidewinder slide racker will be fitted at that time also. After it's all said and done the slide will go off to be plated (black titanium nitrate oxide).

For right now our smith has asked me to chronograph the gun and shoot it for groups so we have a baseline for what the new compensator design does as far as hit on velocity.

I ran about 50 rounds through it at Taran Butlers range in the dark just to make sure the gun feed and cycled which it did no worries. The 9 major (124gr @ 1373 fps) was real sharp and snappy without a compensator.

My boss also built me a 170mm uspsa legal big stick by cutting down one of my G18 mags and threading and tapping it for a arredondo basepad.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

out of control ballin found

3. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Pretty cool.

4. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

looks good

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Damn son, you've been busy haven't you?

It's shaping up reaaaallll nice. Talk to me some more about it though.

Those two ball cuts on the back of the slide - those there so you can adjust the doctor while it's one the gun?

Who's comp are you going with?

You 'smithing this one up yourself?

Can I have your old Open Gun?

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The doctor has two locking screws on the back to lock down windage and elevation. The actual adjustement screws are on the top and left side.

I'm going to be using a new prototype of the glockworx comp of course. My boss is also having a open glock built. He is going with one with a much longer extended barrel and a really big and heavy comp. I'll probably end up with a more traditional 3 port comp with the under scoop nose that our smith likes to make. The philosophy of my boss is he is willing to run a much longer pistol (8" from tip to tail) and heavier pistol for a flatter and softer recoil. I on the other hand will take recoil for a shorter faster transitioning gun. I'll use technique to manage recoil, and try to win win fast transitions from target to target.

I typically don't do any gunsmithing except for the drop in stuff any gun plumber could do. We have a real full time smith on payroll, and I let him do his thing.

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

What big stick were you running before?

I got some new grams springs and followers in the mail the other night, I'm getting 29+1, but I think if I use a wussy loader I could get 30. But I'm still only getting 22 in my 140's. SVI bodies.

I did the trigger job on it last night the reset is ridiculously short and crisp now. It's rite at around 18 oz. trigger break. I also did a double undercut to my trigger guard, but it's not really done.

We'll see how she runs this weekend, videos to follow.

Can I get a shot from under your undercut job you got on the Glock?

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Gotcha. I've never even seen a Doctor in real life, so wasn't quite sure what the hell those screws would be for in the back. Regardless, the milling for those, and for the sight itself looks great.

With the exception of the obvious (trigger/barrel), are the guts of your gun stock, or is everything Glockworx/aftermarket?

Oh... and did you hear that another company might be trying their hand at making a stainless Glock frame?

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

Dude, CCF was such a failure. Okay, there are always the "exceptions", but for the most part it was suppose to be so bad ass the "SVI killer" so many great initial reviews. And in the end it went tits up. It'll be interesting what this new company has learned from the CCF design. There are some things you should just leave alone.

Yar, that coffin job is pretty sick. GWX spits out some heat.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I'll get pics of the undercut later this morning. Waiting for the sun to come up so I can take my outdoor shots. Real sunlight seems to make my pictures better.

Before I was running a standard high cap w/ taylor freelance +10 extention. Without modifications to the follower I was getting 28 rounds.

This new mag is only getting 27 right now but it's more like 27.5 as I can almost fit a 28th. I'm sure if I clipped the spring or shaved the follower I could get 28. Not really concerned about it. I just like the better basepad which is easier for cleaning. The taylors are a pain in the butt to take apart and put together. Not so much taking out the screw for retention plate but the design makes you bend the spring when you take the pad on and off. The follower seemed to like to hang on the seam of the basepad and mag.

Oh on a side note the new cut down g18 mags have the witness holes line up perfectly.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yeah, I've seen a couple of those redone G18 mags. I swear I've been saying that for the longest "why doesn't anyone just fab out a G18 magazine". Glad it's working well for you. It's pretty cool having the witness wholes.

In my SVI tubes, it's just, is it full yet? No, keep going.

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Lone Wolf Dist is making their own polymer frame. Lone Wolf's quality is questionable but I'm sure they will sell a ton of them as their bussiness model is make stuff as inexpensive as possible, spend $$$ on advertising, and under cut everyone else in the market.

The CCF frame is garbage, well documented.

Glockworx is developing their frame. Cannot give too much detail yet but I will leak "Carbon Fiber"

We have so many projects up in the air. Our new lightened striker will be out in a week or two. These are precision C&C machined. I've been shooting the prototype, it's going to make some one else's titanium striker obsolete.

We have a new 3 lbs connector coming out in about a month. Wire EDM cut and presision ground. Going to make all other connectors obsolete.

Our own spring cups and striker sleeves (just because we can)

Our own trigger bar so we can stop using the factory trigger bar for our trigger builds (again wire edm cut and precision ground)

Our own extended mag button

and the thing everybody calls me about on a daily basis blowing up my phone and email. Our own slides that can be customer configured, or pre built for limited or open.

Most of this stuff is in prototype stages or has already been approved and being produced. The slide and frame are still in 3d models though the slides have been coming in as partials. I should have final prototypes for the trigger bar and connecter in a week. Once we test those in a few matches + 1000's of rounds test fire we will go into production.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Jesus that is sex, how big is the dot on that model docter?

14. Need More RWHP

Need More RWHP Got Horsepower?

Can you post more details on that sight? Do they make one that mounts on the rail area infront of the trigger guard?

15. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

What part of a pistol is considered the firearm by the ATF? Slide or frame?

Stupid question I know, but I've always wondered about this.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

for pistols it is the frame. For other firearms it's whatever has the serial number so it could be the reciever.

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I believe it is 7 moa

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

There are all sorts of mounts. What gun with "rail in front of trigger guard" are you talking about. Are you talking about the light rail? The doctor is a red dot sight, not a laser sight.

19. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:cool:

Thanks Yar.

20. acoop101

acoop101 New Member

What's the material for the compensator?

21. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

22. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

under cut pics for AB...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First thing to cut is for your strong hand middle finger nuckle. Cut this one deep and work it until you get get your finger in there real good. Next move forward and cut the 2nd notch for your support hand index finger. Make this a long cut so it works if your grip is off slightly. Your grip may change when your doing a big lean around a barricade or shooting prone.

texture the second notch but not the first notch. Go back into the 1st notch with a craytex wheel to smooth the polymer

23. AB13

AB13 New Member

Bingo, that's what I was shooting for. I'll post some pics up later. I got them both undercut using the method you were talking about.

I'm still deciding on wether or not I'm going to stipple the entire grip or not.

Good lookin out broseph.