GUN Open carry (warning, noob)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Poonony, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Poonony

Poonony New Member

I live in Oregon and am looking to get CHL, but a local cop asked why i didn't just open carry. :slap:
    I'm asking because I wasn't aware that your average Oregonian was allowed to openly carry a handgun in public.

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

The quick reference chart at the NRA says this:

Permit to Purchase
    Rifles & Shotguns- No Handguns- No
    Registration of Firearms
    R- No H- No
    Licensing of Owners
    R- No H- No
    Permit to Carry
    R- No H- Yes*

*A permit is required to carry concealed weapons.

The law seems to have no prohibition of open carry.

I did find this interesting, though:
    :rofl:

3. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

why don't you open carry? Because you don't want to draw that kind of attention to yourself. Who wants some 5 year old kid at the store going "MOMMY! WHY DOES THAT MAN HAVE A GUN??"

4. KW

KW Guest

Not to mention that most of the major cities here in Oregon have their own laws against open carry.

5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

The only problem with open carry is this --

It may be legal, but it become illegal as soon as someone has a problem with it. A simple report could bring a charge such as "disturbing the peace" or something a bit more harsh depending on the situation. Plus, personally, I just don't think it is a good idea in society today. Yes, it may deter one from picking you as a victim if they are the hunt to commit a criminal action, but then again, some hardass may just think that you having a gun would "up the ante".

My $0.02 -- I'd just get the permit and keep it hidden...

6. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

:bigthumb:

7. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Many cities pass laws against it

8. Roshambo

Roshambo Yes, I'm a Marine. No, I haven't killed anyone.

Jesus christ man, you have enough problems with people when you have a bright fucking green paintball marker, or a damn BB gun for that matter!

What, do you WANT to go back and visit Bubba? :naughty:

If you do open carry, be sure to paint the gun orange, with bright green racing stripes, so it doesnt look like a REAL gun. :nuts:

-Joe

9. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

I think my short answer would have been "because I'm not a cop"
    then probably continued on to explain if he shoots someone he loses his job... maybe. if I do, I go to jail.
    AFAIK open carry is legal in Denver, but the cops will bust you for something else, make your life a headache so you tell your friends what a bitch it was and they don't try it. It's how the cops make their own laws.
    It's like trying to convict someone for carrying where they shouldn't, the cops don't bother to READ the federal law they're trying to convict under and half the time it's bogus.

10. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Man, that sucks. I open carry ALL the time. Sometimes I'll get a double take or hear a quick murmur, but mostly people around here dont give a shit. I've been next to police officers with an open carry and all they did was look, nod, and go on with there business. I dont really think much of it, you just have to know where you cant go with a gun on your belt.

11. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i think if you look and act responsible to people, if they realize you're carrying, be it openly or concealed, they often just think you're a police officer.

for me, open carry isn't an option, because if someone wants to rob a business or otherwise commit a crime where shooting might be involved, if i'm the only one with a pistol showing, i'm going to be the only percieved threat to that guy's robbing of the establishment, or whatever, and he'll shoot me first.

12. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Even if open carry were allowed, i wouldn't do it as a civilian, for all the reasons already mentioned.

Being armed is much more to your advantage when nobody knows you're armed until it's time to start shooting.

13. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

Unfortuantly open is the only option I have here. I don't do it for just those reasons, plus I live in a more liberal area of town.