GUN Open carry question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Dec 18, 2007.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I was talking about open carry states with a friend of mine earlier and we came across a question I couldn't answer, so I turn to WMD and those that live in open carry states for an answer.

Is open carry, allowed in these states for everyone, or just residents/citizens of those states or does it vary by state?

I did a quick glance at opencarry.com and the states constitutions,

for example, Idaho says "The people have the right to keep and bear arms, which right shall not be abridged; " while Arizona says "The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired"

Basically in a state where no permit is required to open carry, does that right apply only to people living in that state or can someone visiting from say california get their gun fill by open carrying?

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

It may vary by state but here in Oregon if you're legally allowed to own a handgun you can open carry. I don't believe the rules are any differnt for out-of-staters as long as they can legally be in possession of a handgun.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, in Oregon it's legal so long as it's not prohbitied in the municipality and you are not otherwise prohibited from posessing a firearm.

Food for thought: If open carry is legal in the area, and you're not causing trouble, then no one would ever know that you wern't a resident of that state.

4. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

In Tennessee anyone with a valid handgun permit can carry openly here. TN recognizes ALL permits, so as long as you've got one in some state you're good to go.

TN only signs reciprocity papers with other states if doing so will benefit their residents since there really is no need for the other states to do it here.

5. MTech

MTech New Member

It varies as states.. some will allow anybody legally allowed to own one..some will allow anybody who has a permit for any state to open carry, and some obviously allow you to conceal w/ out of state permits.