open .ASP file type gives security warning after IE 7 install

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AVengeance, Jan 5, 2007.

1. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Is there any way to reverse this dumbass warning? I write webpages, and use NOTEPAD to edit them. Before the IE 7 install, there was no issue with this. Now, with IE 7, a security warning pops up "OPEN FILE - SECURITY WARNING", which is stupid, because I already have it set to open with Notepad.exe. It still opens the file correctly if I click OPEN but there's no way to say "don't show me this again".

Any other way to make this disappear?

Thanks!

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Probably not. Microsoft has been catching shit for years for not making their browser secure enough, so now they're punishing people by making it both secure AND incredibly irritating.

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Are you opening it locally or from a server?? I don't get that when I open ASP pages for editing in ACEHTML Pro. I believe I have the server in my trusted site list though . . .

4. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

This is a file on a network (LAN) drive I have attached as drive "Y:". I'm NOT trying to open it with a web browser, but with Windows Notepad. You'd think the OS could say "oh, there's certainly no harm in opening this with NOTEPAD, I'll just open it" but no such luck.

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I understand that, I wasn't opening mine with IE either, I was opening it with an editor. Even trying to run a different program on a different server gave me the same warning IF the drive mapping is made with a FQDN and not the netbios name. Trust me on this.

6. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Interesting. I don't get this message when I open CSS, ASPX, or most any other file type I'm regularly creating/editing (all opening in Notepad also). In addition, I copied the file to my C: drive, and I don't get the message. So, retorq, what is FQDN? Our network is a fairly small workgroup of Win2k/03 servers (my system being an 03 server). I used the Network Neighboorhood (aka My Network Places) to attach drive Y: . Is there a different method of attaching a network drive that wouldn't cause this?

7. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

FQDN is fully qualified domain name, sometimes we map drives to scotty.co.mohave.az.us or something like that, that's using a FQDN and the request goes thru IE for some reason. If you setup a domain controller on your network and names it company.com, the server you are mapping to iight be seen as server.company.com, looking like a FQDN. I use Novell here at work so the way I check drive mappings is to go into their change password utility, it will show you all drive mappings and how they are mapped. You can tell in there how it's mapped (FQDN or NetBIOS), I'm not sure how to do that in just STD XP though, perhaps one of the other guys here knows??

8. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

You can try attaching the drive as:

Code:
    net use z: [URL="file://\\server\sharename"]\\server\sharename[/URL]
    that should work . . .

9. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Maybe that's it. Since I attached the drive with Network Neighborhood (aka from "Windows") it's infecting it with IE security.
    Nope. I did net use y: /delete
    (deleted successfully)

net use y: \\server\drive

(command completed successfully)

Still the same, and ONLY on .ASP pages, not .ASPX or anything else.

Thanks for the help attempt anyway.. looks like I just need to deal with this minor annoyance.