Oops

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by x510x, Nov 13, 2003.

1. x510x

x510x Bay Area Straight Edge

The other day after a hurried wash in preparation for a bit of an impromptu car meet, I went to grab the bottle of Eagle 20/20 to clean the windows. I had done the passenger side front window and half the windshield before I realized something wasn't right. (Hey it was getting dark out). Low and behold I was using tire cleaner on my windows (both come in a simarly shaped clear spray bottle). I was a little worried I might be messing something up, especially with the over spray I had gotten on the paint, but damn, my glass looked so shiny, and man was is slipery (as was the paint I had over sprayed on).

I switched to the Eagle 20/20 just to be safe.

Any thoughts on possible damage I may have caused, or things I might need to be worried about?

2. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

just wash it again

3. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

Was it Tire Cleaner or Tire Dressing?

Tire Cleaner usually is acid based and can be damaging if left on a painted surfact for an extended period of time.

Tire Dressing on the other hand is usually silicone based and just sticks to paint, ultimately just leaving it to attract dirt and other contaminents.

I know a good wash will eliminate tire dressing, but an acid based tire cleaner might cause damage.

BTW: Did you have any sealant on your paint previous to your accident? (ie: A wax or synthetic paint sealant)

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Cleaning your windows should be enough, but if any of the tire dressing ran down the side of the car, you may need to wash and rewax that area.

5. x510x

x510x Bay Area Straight Edge

The product is some sort of Armour All clear spray stuff, dressing more than cleaner for sure.

The car had been Vanilla Moose Glazed and S100ed a little over a month ago. The windows I redid with the Eagle 20/20 so I'm sure they are fine, the stuff that got on the paint I just wipped up, and has been gone over with some Meg. QD

Everything seems to be just fine, and I wasn't really worried, just wanted to make sure.

I was impressed on how nice it made my paint feel though. It was practically frictionless.

6. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

Armor All Dressing most likely. The QD should be ok. Anything left over should come off with the next wash...