OOD/OOP question.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Drunk Bastard Audio, May 8, 2005.

1. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

what are the primary differences between Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) and Object-Oriented Design (OOD). What are some real life examples of both?

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

As far as I am concerned, they are two completely different levels. OOD is used to design large scale applications so multiple programmers can work on different modules of the same project without confusion and with guidance. The documentation, or the design is given to the programmers and the programers basically turn the OOD into actual code (in your case, the object oriented programming). An example of OOD are class diagrams. A diagram that shows several classes of an application, which classes inheret objects or attributes from other classes, and the relationship between other classes.

There are several ways and several diagrams to describe what OOD is, I just gave one example. Software Engineers are usually the folks who design the applications.

This is how class diagrams look like
    [​IMG]

Each object of the diagram that you see represents something different. By looking at this, I think this is a student registration system for a school.

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Idealy u take your OOD class diagram and turn that into OO Code.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

OO Design is taking your problem domain and translating it into the components of the system that will implement the desired behavior of your application.

OO Programming is implementing your design using an object oriented language.

You need to buy and read: Object Oriented Design With Applications, by Grady Booch. Then buy Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software. Both are classics written by the most respected guys in computer science, and both are absolute must-haves, and must-reads if you are serious about OO anything.