Ontarians, No more Riding with Kids on the Back

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Drewski, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Drewski

Drewski New Member

This slid through quietly yesterday with no debate whatsoever The Safety Fanatics are hard at work.. All you you in Markham will have to thank your MPP Helena Jackek.

Please email your local MPP, the Premier, the Transportation Minister and Ms. Jaczek to show your opposition to this legislation.

You can find your local MPP's email here:
    http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/members/members_current.do?locale=en

Mr. McGuinty
    [email protected]

Mr. Bradley
    [email protected]

Ms. Jaczek
    [email protected]

2. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

Might as well stop em from riding bicycles too, since that would prevent unnecessary injury too

3. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Damn that sucks. One of my good memories from childhood was clenching to the back of my dad's jacket while riding around town on my uncle's dual sport at family gatherings.

4. GreyRS

GreyRS Your ignorance cramps my conversation.

Are all roads there "highways"? If not then it does not stop you from taking kids under 14 for a ride. You just can't get on a highway. Not really seeing the issue to be up in arms over this, unless you see this as the beginning to further encroachment on your riding privileges.....

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

1. It IS encroaching but Canada enjoys a bit more encroaching government. sad.
    2. Many riders, especially older ones with families, take their kids when touring. I rode behind my dad all over the place.

I know many many heavy tour riders who have a bike for dad, a bike for mom and their kids ride behind them both.

6. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

In california
    highway = road + sidewalks
    roadway = road

almost all laws say highway

7. GreyRS

GreyRS Your ignorance cramps my conversation.

Ok, I see.

8. Drewski

Drewski New Member

in Ontario, highwayis any

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If kids weren't a lot smaller and a lot more likely to die just falling off a bike, it wouldn't be an issue.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

and you don't htink a parent should be allowed to make the decision of whether the kid can stay on a bike or not?

11. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

kids bounce

12. deusexaethera

They also bleed to death a lot faster.

13. deusexaethera

No more than a parent should be allowed to let their kid ride in a car without a seatbelt. And motorcycles are even more dangerous in a crash because they do absolutely nothing to protect the rider.

In fairness, if I were king, I would just mandate full-body protection including a helmet and a rip-stop riding suit, because the majority of fuckups are going to involve kiddo losing his balance, not running into a car. But then again, proper riding gear is mandatory in VA, and I don't know how many times I saw kiddo riding on the back of daddy's Harley in jeans and a T-shirt, just like daddy was.

There are some laws that cover the lawmakers' asses, and there are some laws that actually protect people from harm. I guess this one could fall on either side of the fence, and it does seem like kind of a feel-good law, but since the consequences of a kid falling off a moving motorcycle range from serious to deadly, I think it's better to err on the side of caution.

14. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Why not make it illegal for anyone under 18 to not ride a bike at all? Hell, why go with motorcycles, better add bicycles to that list too.
    Why not make motorcycles completely illegal for everyone?
    Kids can be hurt in cars too, how bout not allowing children under 18 to even ride in any car?

millions of kids have ridden on motorcycles just fine over the years with no problems whatsoever. This is where governments infringe more and more.

You want to protect children? then take away dirt bikes from anyone not over 18. You would save MANY MANY more children from injuries and death doing that then this law will.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  15. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

fuck yeah i know so many more people who have been hurt riding dirtbikes than getting hurt on their parents bike ... actually i don't know any of my friends who have ever been hurt on the back of their parents bike besides how else are they gonna learn proper riding and see it at an early age because it seems like the people i know with bikes their parents had bikes so why not let them soo how ride like someone with proper riding expirence over a longer time (i only say with riding expirence because most people that take their kids on their are older family members with lots of expirence who wouldn't risk that kids life because its their family) instead of a weekend to get comfortable

16. 7960

7960 New Member

so are the consequences of falling off a bicycle and we let them operate one of those all by themselves!

:rolleyes:

17. Vendetta

Vendetta New Member

are you going to let parents parent? or are you going to let your government do it for you?

depending on the area of the country, that answer differs