MIL Only son ineligible for draft?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AlcoLOLic, Jul 24, 2007.

1. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

I was having this conversation with someone who really wouldn't know the correct answer, so I wanted to post this here since you guys would obviously know.

I lament the fact that I never went into the military when I was 18 (would have made for a damn fine enlistment...except that I most likely would have been deployed in the Gulf War at age 19/20), and I said something about it. This person stated that if I never enlisted I wouldn't have been eligible for the draft. I asked why, and it was said "because you're an only male child".

Personally, I think that's a load of BS, if you're in the middle of a draft Uncle Sam needs all able-bodied men (and women now?) to serve. So I think they're full of it.

Can anyone here in the Barracks say for sure if a first-born/only child is NOT eligible for the draft?

2. the raging enigma

the raging enigma If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidenc

In today's Military, you are eligible for the draft. I was just reading about this. Even if you are the namesake of your family, they will still take you. Gimme a few minutes and i will find the article that I was reading about this.

3. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

Thanks man...I appreciate your time.

4. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

some military wife tried to argue this with me at a docs office.. lol she is stupid and needs to DIAF because she all ways has to one up you on your issues.

Mike is the only MALE child and he is in the military and he has been to Iraq.

5. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

...sounds like you've been through this conversation before.

So many "experts" living in the world, today...

6. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

voluntary service vs drafting are 2 different things though

the thread starter is asking about being drafted as the only son, voluntary service is a different matter

7. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

8. NPH

NPH Guest

So if you're the only child (male or female), they can't send you right? I'm so confused now.

9. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

As I understand it (from reading the linked info).... if there is a draft during war time, you go but you can be removed from an active fighting zone under specified circumstances.

Some of these same circumstances apply during voluntary service also and will allow one to be removed from "combat".

10. burton564

burton564 New Member

the draft is an old outdated system, if it ever came into play again it would be amended thoroughly

11. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

nowadays you have to register for selective service or you can't get any federal aid of college. I'm an only male son and registered with selective service.

12. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

HEY! Someone came to work today... Yeah, the last draft was in the 70s. Any draft instated today would be different.

13. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

NONO that’s not what she said.. she said her husband was going to go to Afghanistan but since he is the only male child in her family he was not eligible to go. Then she went on some spiel about how she was pregnant with her son (who is now two) but they did not know it was male yet.. lalala.. anyway I stopped listing to her after that because she was REALLY annoying with 3 kids running around being loud. She lives in the ghetto base housing that’s being torn down and she started bitching about too.. I said "look lady everyone has the same opportunity to pick where you live.. if you do not like it move off base or put in for a different house on main base." she made a scowling face. She also said that the historic houses were worse then the condemned houses she is now living in.. this was before she knew I lived in one.. Hey ill take my hardwood floors and 12+ tall ceilings and a fireplace over a rat infested house any day bitch!.

This is more of a rant then anything.. lol..

I’m sure there are exceptions to any draft about who can go and who can not go.. I can not see the same exceptions from the 70s holding up in 2007.