Only drag racing...or real racing?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by troglodyte, Sep 25, 2003.

1. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Now, the title draws attention just to get people here.

We all know that US V8 engines do a great job of dominating drag racing although there are foreign cars with smaller engines putting down some impressive times (and if you're open minded, you'll have to admit that). But, what about domestic cars that can also handle on a track with left and right turns? I saw a Mustang at the D1 drift competition at Irwindale and with the right setup, it can kick ass. Don't think too many domestic guys will get into drifting though....but a FR setup and some seat time go a long way.

What about other series with streetable cars? I'm more of a Mustang (1994-present) guy myself when it comes to domestics. Steeda seems to make great parts...and they also seem interested in drifting in the US by their responses in DRIFTING magazine.

So, my title is a bit tongue-in-cheek...any open minded replies?

:jerkit: <-Hahahahahaha! Every board needs this smilie.

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

what was teh question?

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

SCCA's American Iron series.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. matrix243

matrix243 Earn this. Earn it.

Key factors:

-Weight
    -Balance/Traction (Front/Mid/Rear Engine)
    -Wheelbase
    -Centre of Gravity
    -Power
    -Aerodynamics, drag co-efficient

Any car with the right combination of these characteristic will kick ass. I'm not sure of the question either.

5. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Huh? I don't think the question could have been made any more simple. People here only drag race or do domestic owners here actually take their car out to do other forms of real racing other than a straight line?

Wolf had no trouble understanding. I see there is a BMW in that pic, is it in a different class? I would hate to see only American cars race only other American cars. I'd like to see them in the hands of competent drivers against the world's best. I just mentioned drifting but SCCA is also another great place as well. The Mustang looks nice.

6. bigshoe

bigshoe I'd rather shovel shit than study

the American Iron series is run by NASA not SCCA, just for clarification, its almost entirely mustangs, but i know a couple fbody guys that want to get into it.

I dont have the disposable income for real w2w racing, but I do autocross regularly, and i've done a couple Open Tracking events which are pretty kick ass. the track i go to is nelsons ledges, its a dump, but also the "unofficial highest avg speed" course in the US.

here are some pics of me in my car
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trust me they are out there, its just that the majority of mustang and fbody guys are dragracers. Now the corvette is a different story, when you find one that wasnt bought for purposes of midlife crisis etc.

In my region alone, there is a good deal of autocrossers with muscle cars, more than 15 that are regulars, so i think thats about 10% of them thats just mustang or fbody. Some of us are faster than others, but a built correctly muscle car is a force to be recon'd with in the twisties, it also requires a good driver, its not like a subaru that just grips under all conditions.

trust me, they are out there, just in small numbers. Its a shame we dont get better turnouts, i'll always see them at the dragstrip though.... sigh.... i just dont find dragracing fun (yes i've tried it- a few times).

7. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Drag racing can be fun to do, but its gets boring to watch. Just like NASCAR - repetitive. I mentioned the Mustang because I saw one at the D1 event and that thing smoked a near perfect drift. It helped that the driver was an instructor from the Tom Jackson school of racing. I have seen what Steeda can do for suspensions on Mustangs as well. :eek3:

I would like to see a series of homologated cars run in a series together. I know this may sound a bit too GT2/GT3, but I would like to see a series of US cars versus the world. Real cars. Real drivers. Real parts that you the consumer can get access to yourself.....you know, the way NASCAR used to be years ago.

I'm not an import hater nor am I a domestic hater either. Fast is fast no matter what or how you get there. AutoX is cool but its like rally where you race against the clock (I wonder if Saturn will actually race their AWD Ion or just use it for show). Anyone into drfting? FR is the perfect platform you know.

8. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

What?

9. Lethal

Lethal OT Supporter

Yes, it is a BMW and not american, but thats why the little sticker accross doesnt say "American Iron".

10. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Its like LeMans, same track but cars in different classes. I would like to see them integrate though and just see what happens.

11. Wolf

American Iron allowed cars:
    a) All 1960 through present, American-made vehicles certified by the United States Department of
    Transportation for street use at their date of manufacture.
    b) 100-inch wheel base minimum.
    c) Front engine.
    d) Rear wheel drive
    e) Solid rear axle.*
    * 1999-2003 Mustang Cobra with factory IRS is allowed and updating of 1979-2003 live axle Fox Body or SN95 cars to factory IRS is allowed.
    f) No tube frame chassis conversions will be allowed.
    g) Vehicle must retain its stock front clip, floorpan, and subframe

12. Wolf

Camaro Drifter:

[​IMG]

13. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Yeah, he is in Hawaii now right? As for the American Iron series, part "e" seems a bit protective in creating an artificial class. I'm not sure of any US built "imports" but it seems like an artifical protection.

Its my opinion that a race series should have "f &g" but be restricted on engine size in liters. The engine can be NA, turbo, or supercharged. For example, you can have a 2.0-2.4 liter class. You can do what you want except bore out the engine beyond the 2.4 limit. If you race a US domestic car and win al lthe time against imports - so be it. If imports dominate US domestics - too bad.

I do not think I am alone in wanting to see a race series using homologated cars in a US versus the world challenge. I don't really care who wins so long as its exciting racing.

14. Wolf

15. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Sounds like a rahter competitive series - between F-bodies and Mustangs. I still think there needs to be integration.

16. matrix243

Front engine, rear wheel drive the perfect platform? I'd be inclined to disagree with you there. Mid engine, all wheel drive is a no brainer.

17. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Ummm, not for drifting. Mid engine cars are hell to control (but doable) and AWD cars tend to want to grip instead of drift. Its doable, but hard. That is why FR is the perfect platform.

18. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

whats the point of drifting agin?

and that camaro = :barf: it ahs to be an asain guys though look at the front bumper

19. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

You show your ignorance of drifting quite well. Thank you for being such a case example.

20. Wolf

Drifting is for show. It's about style and showing off rather than speed or lap times.

21. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Drifting competitions are for show. The true enthusiast does it alone on abandoned roads late at not....forthe thrill of it. Americans seem to be doing it for the poser value. I have never met a Japanese car guy who has not wondered about the absolute facination with Hondas...FWD cars so much in the US. I think the US is getting the wrong kind of hyped message and I don't think it bodes too well for drifting in the US.

Hey, at least its something that domestic guys can get involved with where its not this whole stupid import vs domestic crap that happens all too often.

22. matrix243

I see absolutely know point in "drifting". The topic title stated drag racing or real racing so I assumed this topic was about racing. Stupid me. I vote for this thread to be moved to the 'Off-Topic' forum.

23. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Well, sayonara. This topic is in regards to domestic guys. Drifting is but one topic, but there are other forms of real racing out there. Why can't every poster be a clued in as Wolf?

24. uflathead

uflathead Guest

drag racing is real racing. If you don't think so get your butt out there and try making 6 passes within a couple hundredths of a second and consistent reaction times.

25. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i understand its for show i dont get how there is style in it and yes it does take skill not to hit a rail buy why not spend time cutting down your lap time and save money on tires ive even done it and yes i guess it is kina fun when its not yrou car

i guess id rather compete in somthing where winning isnt decied by a judge

and that camaro = :barf: