Online store suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trlc463, Sep 20, 2006.

1. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

Hi all

So I'm developing a site for a friend, in which we'll be selling "healthy" cookies (PM for more info)

Anyhoo, I haven't got much experince in setting up that kind of stuff, I've only just seen them...

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a easy-to-use, yet powerful and customizable online store program/script(?) that had good results

So far, I've been checking out ZenCart and OsCommerce (the Control Panel has that as an add-on)

The thing is, we'll only be selling 3 types of cookies, so much of the stuff on (for example) here is not needed: http://demo.oscommerce.com/

Am I going in the right direction with this or should try something else for this project?

Also, can anyone maybe explain how the payment process would go?
    Would I need to use another sort of merchant that would process credit cards ?
    This "store" will be beneath a larger business, so they have access to anything business related (something that maybe a single person could not access)

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Cliffs: Need online store thats easy to use and customizable :)

2. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I have used OsCommerce and it is very powerful. But if you are only selling 3 products, it seems like a huge overkill. Then again I cannot suggest a good alternative cart-program.

Unless you used a simple Paypal type setup where people just enter how many they want and go through paypal to fill out everything, that would require less work. But if you are planning on setting up your own merchant account and accepting credit cards yourself, thats another story. Personally I use 2checkout.com and I can have a simple box where you enter a quantity then hit "add to cart" and everything else is taken care of on 2checkout's site.

3. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

Thanks for the input Xdude!

Question though, through OsCommerce, how did you set up the monetary aspect of it?
    Did you put in your credit card or bank acct #'s and the money is automatically wired there?
    Or did you need some third party company to do this?
    As for PayPal, well, the business expects a large amount of people to be buying this, and PayPal will hinder somewhat as not everyone has one and they charge fee's for transfering/recieving money

Lastly, how much does 2checkout cost to use?

Thanks!