Online storage, external harddrive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tDoYatRoM, Aug 31, 2009.

1. tDoYatRoM

tDoYatRoM New Member

Hey everyone

I am not very computer savvy so please bear that in mind if you do choose to reply.

I have a bunch of important files on my computer and I want to keep them somewhere safe in case my computer would be damaged in anyway.

What are my options and what would the pros and cons of those options be?

Thanks

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I have a portable drive for my laptop. I backup my data weekly. I use a program called Second Copy. I have a schedule set so that the program makes an exact copy of my data on the portable drive keeping the originals on the laptop.

Look for a Microsoft powertoy called SyncToy. It is similar to Second Copy, but free.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

I use the free version of SyncBack and back up to an external USB, then put that in a fire resistant safe.

pro: cheap, easy
    con: it's manual so if I forget to back shit up then it doesn't get backed up

4. tDoYatRoM

tDoYatRoM New Member

I was thinking of paying a small amount of money to be able to backup quite a lot using online storage.

Would this be a good idea? How exactly does this work? Got any recommendations?

5. 7960

7960 New Member

why?

maybe.

it's not necessarily a bad idea. but if you can do it yourself for a one-time fixed cost, why pay someone else?

there are different ways.

1. you designate folder(s) to be backed up and they back up anything in those folder(s) on a scheduled basis, or
    2. you load a program that acts as your backup, and it connects to them to send your files to the host, or
    3. you do a backup and then transfer the backed-up wad of files to the host, or
    4. you designate specific file types and the service backs them up.......

there are as many solutions as there are solution providers.

yes, buy an external drive and a fire safe and do it yourself.