WEB Online receipts

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Morgan06, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I'm way over my head with this one, don't even know where to start and I have a feeling that teaching myself is going to be a long road. But I would appreciate someone steering me in the right direction.

Ideally a customer could visit the website, enter their license plate number or last six of their VIN (rather than a reference number or having account registration), and then redirect to a printable PDF sales receipt. Sounds easy, right? Any advice?

Knowing HTML/CSS does not a programmer make. :hsd:

2. fishbulb

fishbulb Active Member

3. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Exactly what I needed to get me started, thanks.

Any other links/tutorials are appreciated.

edit: Not really what I'm looking for, but appreciated nonetheless. I can export the PDF receipt from Quickbooks, I need to know how to associate a user entered string with a specific PDF file. Does that make more sense?

4. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Didn't notice the continue button on that PHP tutorial, still reading and brainstorming.

Would it be easy enough to name the PDF the same as the verification string? Submit button replaces 'License Plate: 123456' with /receipts/123456.pdf ?

5. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

i would create a mysql database for this.

Unless you want the file names of the pdf's the same as their license plate number? if thats the case you can use a simple form or php script

6. itisaniceday

itisaniceday New Member

i have never tried that

7. itisaniceday

itisaniceday New Member

i'll still watch it.

8. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Just the name mysql scares me so I don't think I'm ready to go that route, although it would probably be the more industry accepted method.

I do think I've borrowed and rewritten enough php/js to do the latter, in my head it doesn't sound so hard. My only concern now is security and cust. information. Obviously this receipt won't have credit card # listed, but I don't know how protected I have to keep a person's name and the amount paid.

9. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Well the reason i suggested mysql is because you can have some sort of random file name, as opposed to the same file name as their license plate.