A&P online photo gallery - desired functions?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jdw, Sep 26, 2006.

1. jdw

jdw New Member

Working on a senior project so I can get the hell out of college, part of it is writing a photo gallery.

What kind of functions would ~you~ desire in a photo gallery of your own?

It'll all be PHP based and it won't have the 'cool fade' factor of something like simpleviewer (atleast not this time around). ..but it also won't eat up bandwidth like simpleviewer.

(maybe it'll be something I can package for download when I'm done - if it's worth a damn)

2. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

Biggest feature is that it must be fast. Slow is stupid.

I like the ones where you can see a thumbnail, but still see the larger image as well. I hate having to cycle through just larger images, I love me some thumbnail.

3. jdw

jdw New Member

well fast is a given. Fast and easy on bandwidth are the primary goals.

Other functions I intend to have...
    -Owner ability to add captions to images either immediately after upload or down the road with an admin section.
    -Show information including: size, # of views. I may add the file type and see about EXIF data (not sure my server will support displaying EXIF).
    -Ability for user to select image(s) for purchase (which will send image information to some sort of order form.
    -User comments for images which will be sent to a database and displayed in an admin section (ie: incase you're looking for feedback on images, info on what/who is shown[sports], or requests for removal).
    -It will automatically add a watermark if desired by the owner.
    -It will automatically creat thumbnails and use those as the primary display.
    -It MAY resize original images (haven't decided yet if I want to or not).

Other options I'd like to incorporate (but may wait for a later release).
    -Modifiable interface (colors, backgrounds, layouts)

Security is going to be a big issue as well as I want to keep my images safe and I'm sure many others would feel the same way.

Anywho, anything else you as a photographer and/or photo-business owner would like to see for an online gallery?

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

--The photo number for quick reference
    --Thumbnails are great, but don't break it up between 17 pages with only 6 on each page
    --Ability to do slideshow and be able to choose slide transition times
    --Easily customizable for smaller items they'd want to change
    --transparent interface...I hate seeing a small screen within a screen

5. I'll give you mad props if you can pull all this off.. because I know I sure as hell cant. :wtc:

6. MojoDojo

MojoDojo New Member

features:
    - search engine friendly url
    - templated, like Wordpress with CSS and layout files seperate
    - view larger image using a lightbox method (not really important feature just cool points)
    - watermark (like that in Gallery2)
    - lockable album (user/pass) this would be good feature for business ex: wedding/event photos with limited access.
    - shopping cart feature this would be a good feature for business

7. jdw

jdw New Member

I'm going to try and knock out as much of it as I can. Right now security is my biggest concern. I've got a few ideas on what needs to be done and I've got a buddy who's fairly good with security.

Then after that I need to worry about compatibility if I distribute in any way. Probably have to write three times as much code for the customization parts and compatibility with different server settings.

--The photo number for quick reference that'll be the way things are named and referenced (probably display that as well then too)

--Thumbnails are great, but don't break it up between 17 pages with only 6 on each page I haven't figured out exactly I want to format this yet. Granted I can made it customizable but that may be a second version project.

--Ability to do slideshow and be able to choose slide transition times Do people really used slideshows? I know I never have. Could be an add-on but not something I"ll spend too much time on early.

--Easily customizable for smaller items they'd want to change
    If I don't do it right away, I plan on doing it later. Would like some sort of interface for modifying the CSS

--transparent interface...I hate seeing a small screen within a screen

Not totally sure where you're going with this.

- templated, like Wordpress with CSS and layout files seperate not familiar with wordpress but like I say, I'd like the look/layout to be customizable.

- view larger image using a lightbox method (not really important feature just cool points) Looking at that it should be pretty simple so I'll keep that in mind.

- watermark (like that in Gallery2) It will deffinetly have some sort of setup to add a watermark. Any opinions on if it adds it permanently to the uploaded image?

- lockable album (user/pass) this would be good feature for business ex: wedding/event photos with limited access. Once I get a system setup for owner admin I should be able to set this up.

- shopping cart feature this would be a good feature for business Not sure exactly how I'll go about this, but it'll have this to some extent.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  8. MojoDojo

MojoDojo New Member

RE: watermark

Using Gallery2 as an example again, the watermark is not appended to the original image. Also selectable watermark, ex: don't watermark thumbnail, do watermark larger image.

Good luck on the project. If you need a beta tester let me know.

9. jdw

jdw New Member

Hmmm, yeah, I'd prefer to not make the watermark permanent. Only pro to that (that I see right now) is it will make up for any security holes in accessing the full images (they'll already be watermarked so getting to them doesn't mean much).

I've got a couple buddies who I'll have throttle the final program pretty good but I'll probalby be posting up here so I can get it on a few different servers with different settings to see how things react.

10. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK www.JJiGz.com

not sure if this has been mentioned allready or if its even possible, but if there was to be a flash based photo site that displayed small thumbnails is it possible to hover over the small TB get a larger pic but then click it for the full size?

11. jdw

jdw New Member

Well this won't be flash based but I know a rollover is possible with Java. Making it look good and be relatively fast is the big challenge.

I'll probably shy away from that because leaving room in an interface for a popup takes away a lot of thumbnail space.

12. jdw

jdw New Member

Who knew this would be so much work. :rofl:

I've got one version 'working' but it needs to be cleaned up. Working out details for version 2 that will include twice the options and will be easier to integrate into a website (the one I have now is pretty well stuck with the rest of the site).

full version 1 website will be done by December 15th at the latest (or I fail college) so I'll post a link when it's wrapped up. :hsd:

13. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

:cool:

FWIW at this stage of the game, I like the gallery interface the guy uses (forgot his name :o ) for his "Samples Gallery" at DPreview. I've seen other galleries where the thumbnail for the current image is centered in the thumbnail display, I like that too. :)

14. jdw

jdw New Member

IMO that setup is tacky. Very functional though...
    If the selection part of it was done in flash or something so it looked better, it'd be nice.

biggest issue there is having room for large images. I had considered something like that with a midsized image showing up in the middle and link to the full, but that means another set of images on the server.

15. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I guess I'm not sure how. If you had one row of thumbnails across the top or side of the screen and centered the thumbnail for whichever image was displayed in the other (frame?) I don't see how that would take up too much screen space. But whatever, your project. :) Good luck. :wavey:

16. jdw

jdw New Member

ahh, yeah, guess I had another idea in my head (guess now that I think of it it was something I used a couple years ago in a 'gallery' thing I put together)
    http://sws.mnstate.edu/wadeju/isdsite/gallery.html (nevermind the rest of the site, it looks like butt - and none of those pictures are mine)

17. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

the problem with a gallery like that is if u have a lot of pictures in the gallery it probably wouldnt look as good.

18. jdw

jdw New Member

that's exactly the reason I want to avoid something showing both tumbs and fullsized in the same window. If the thumbs are strung out along the bottom and you have 100 pictures in that gallery, it gets to be a long way across there.

19. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

read some of the suggestions, but didnt see this mentioned... (might have missed it or just be common sense)

ability to batch upload...

20. pelf

pelf The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze

Batch upload and just browse fields if its a few images.

21. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

what you could do is have one on each side. one on the left being previous and the right being next. if that makes sense. i might rework the galleries on my site to be like that.

22. jdw

jdw New Member

uploads from the interface isn't something I'm building in right now.. I've actually got it set up right now so that you upload a folder of images to the site via FTP and then set things up in the admin section...
    ermm yeah..
    -Upload folder via FTP to 'gallery' directory
    -enter admin section and enter the name of the folder you uploaded along with information about the gallery.
    -initialize the gallery which creates thumbnails and loads a bunch of info into database (all the gallery information goes into a gallery list table and each image goes into a large gallery table)

trouble with doing it this way is I haven't set it up yet so you can upload additional files to the folder and set things up without it doubling up listings for the existing files. It's easy enough to fix in the code when I get around to that part again I guess.