MIL Online grad school for military

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nrgyserboy, Dec 4, 2007.

1. nrgyserboy

nrgyserboy New Member

Hey everyone, new guy here... wanted to know if anyone here has started grad school for a MBA or any extra education. I'm at Minot AFB right now and there's a very limited selection for me to pick from to get a MBA. If so, what school did you go through and why? What degree are you going for? Does applying for a "well known" school versus a "not so well known" school matter when you transition from the military world to civilian world? I'd like to join a company like Boeing or Raytheon when my committment finishes in 2011. Any information is appreciated. THANKS!

Any ex-military members here wanna talk about their job transitioning from military to civilian and how easy or hard it was?

2. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

i'm doing an MBA through the University of Maryland University College

i went to Maryland (College Park campus) so i guess i'm a little biased, but from what i've read it's a good program.

it's kind of expensive - $667/credit hour, which tuition assistance will only cover $250/hr, so out of pocket it will run me in the neighborhood of $17K (42 credits), maybe a little more with books.

i debated between Strayer, Toro, and U Phoenix, but i wanted a degree that will actually help me in the outside world since i don't plan to stay career. not that those other programs aren't worthwhile, but for me it's worth it to pay more and have this degree.

i have friends doing MBA programs at University of Colorado and Arizona State (one of the best i've heard). again, you have to be willing to pay more (or have GI Bill top-off, but most officers don't).

if you're staying in and using the degree for promotion, there's probably no reason not to use one of the online-only schools and save some cash. the air force won't care where you got your degree (for the most part), and it should almost guarantee Lt Col by the end of your career, if not higher.

3. nrgyserboy

nrgyserboy New Member

Were you required to take the GMAT? I heard a rumor(most likely not true) that its better to go through a school that requires a GMAT or GRE score than one that doesn't. I'm not staying career so I'd like to go to a decent school that gives me a chance in the outside world. I guess I should go to the bookstore and find a book thats shows all the online grad school programs available. I'm thinkin of applying to Central Michigan University but I don't know if it's another easy way out like U Phoenix or Toro. The tuition seems pretty cheap compared to the bigger name schools.

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

damn I didnt know most dont do that, I did....NICE

5. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I could never get over the name of that school. Make up your mind already, is it a Uni or a College? Anyhow I'll be going to Embry-Riddle online for my masters.

6. SweetDaddyO

OTS grads do get GI Bill for the most part, especially prior enlisted. ROTC grads rarely get it (you have to have been contracted, but not paid more than $3500/semester or year or something for at least one year) - basically only ROTC grads who went to extremely cheap in-state schools or declined any scholarships or financial assistance. Academy grads, i believe, are almost entirely out of luck.

i guess it makes sense - the AF paid about $30K for my college so i can't really double-up the benefits.

however i do think they should up the TA amount, especially for a masters'.

7. SweetDaddyO

i didn't have to take it for this degree program, but instead i have to take an introductory class that is supposed to "weed out" those who can cut it in the program and those who can't.

also, military experience can often be substituted for GMAT or GRE scores, depending on the program.

your upper-echelon egineering and top-tier business schools will probably require it though.

8. nrgyserboy

nrgyserboy New Member

bah, been lookin up schools for the past 2 hours. Most of them are fairly expensive per credit hour. I'm already in a bit of debt so I'm thinkin of headin to Central Michigan University and pickin up some certificates along the next 4 years before I leave the AF. I'm hopin my Top Secret Clearance will be useful when I leave here... I've heard it is.

9. SweetDaddyO

my gameplan is, for when i leave, to have:

-8-10 years experience as a military officer
    -combat and deployment expierience
    -technical skill and knowledge on a tactical/weapons system level
    -top secret/SCI clearance
    -MBA

i figure that should secure me six figures somewhere - i don't want to take a step down when i leave. my uncle works for Lockheed and said they'd snatch me up in a heartbeat, so that was comforting.

10. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

ahhh that makes sense the AF didnt help me pay for anything

11. nrgyserboy

nrgyserboy New Member

yup... gotta make urself as marketable as possible.