MIL online education

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NisAznMonk, Mar 31, 2006.

1. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Anyone here take classes online? I was thinking about enrolling into a school like AIU and completing my degree there. Anyone have any comments or experience on this?

2. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

I have been an online student before I was in the military, during, and now after.

DO NOT USE phoenix!!! I can't stress this enough. Piece of shit. Try finding something inside the state that you are at, or your home state through the state schools. The degree will be much more solidified if you have one from a state school.

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Better than nothing.

5. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

So should i stick with stateside schools, or apply to these online colleges?

6. Accord

Accord New Member

www.thomasedison.edu

It's a public STATE school and doesn't have that online degree stigma like UoP, AIU, and other for-profit online universities and unlike degree programs from places like UF, FSU, UMASS, etc. you can complete 100% of your degree online and there are no residency requirements, also they're very generous as far as awarding credit for military training and whatnot. There's nothing wrong with online schools, but you want to stay away from the FOR-PROFIT ones owned by corporations and you want to make sure they have regional accredidation.

And look into SOC @ http://www.soc.aascu.org

7. darnit

darnit New Member

http://www.amu.apus.edu/index.htm
    acredited, they have a SOC agreement(American Military Public University in WV)TA pays 100% including books;you can also sell your books back after for some cash!!

8. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Man..any other options? The lady from AIU called me today and I was interested. I will probably lean towards these other schools though :)

9. Accord

Accord New Member

AMU is NOT regionally accredited.

Being accredited doesn't mean anything unless it's regional accreditation, and AMU is not regionally accredited. I would go to UoP before I went to AMU, because at least they're regionally accredited.

10. darnit

darnit New Member

Q. Is DETC accreditation equal to “regional” accreditation?
    A. In every measurable way, yes! DETC accreditation is just as valid as any regional accreditation, and the Secretary of Education has officially recognized DETC since 1959 and by the Council for Higher Education and its predecessors since 1975. We meet the precisely same standards as do the regionals, and we would hasten to add we have vastly more experience and tougher, more stringent standards for distance learning than any other agency in the U.S. Distance learning is our only business.

Now what is regional accreditation?
    If you are studying a common academic subject (math, English, or history, for example), your best bet is to make sure that your school is accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies recognized by the National Board of Education. These are the same agencies that grant regular public and private universities their accreditation. Find out which state your online program is operating from, and then look to see what regional agency grants accreditation to that state.

Now how does that affect the military?

Well for the Navy and TA, you will NO LONGER able course such as math, English, or history if they have a CLEP for it. You must CLEP if they have one. So if you only need 3 credits in English,2 in math, etc.. and you can CLEP them , why would I worry about regional accreditation? YOU WOULDN’T!! Because you will have to pay for it out of YOUR pocket!!

So lets see..
    You are going to have to CLEP all available courses, so does regionally accredition matter .. since accreditation is mainly concerned with basics? And not majors?..
    Also being the fact this seems like the first time for this person going to school. You know as well as I, that moving from place to place some credits are not going to get all your transfer credits anyways.
    Hmm IMHO..
    Regional accrediting is not really going to affect the first time starter. Now if you already have those courses, you had better hope they had regional accreditation.

11. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

If it is not regionally accredited, do not waste your money!

12. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I'm going into the Airforce with 90 credit hours. What should I do then?

13. Accord

Accord New Member

I don't care what that FAQ says, DETC accreditation is not comparable or equal in any way to regional accreditation. Your credits will NOT be recognized by most regionally accredited institutions and if you want to pursue a masters degree, most regionally accredited programs will not admit someone without a regionally accredited degree and many employers will not higher someone if their degree is not from a regionally accredited institution.

If you can get a regionally accredited degree from a respected school for the same money and time it would take from a DETC school, why on earth would you not go for the regional accreditation? If you're going to spend all that time, effort, and money on college, it makes no sense to go to a DETC school or get a DETC degree when there are better and literally a countless number regionally accredited programs available.

This cannot even be debated, regional accreditation is the gold standard and DETC cannot compare, both academically and in the job market. You'll save yourself a lot of wasted time and effort by just going with a regionally accredited program from the beginning.

14. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

So has anyone tried getting a degree from Park University? Its one of the schools here at Goodfellow AFB. I'm working on CLEP-ing out of the 3 classes I need to finish my CCAF, but I'm not really sure if I should go ahead and sign up for Park university.

Any opinions?

15. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Amu