Onkyo TX-SR606 + SKS-HT540 - Budget buildup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gonrad, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Gonrad

Gonrad OT Supporter

First of all, I know almost nothing about speaker/receiver selection; I am basically going by the "word" spread on the 'net on these units. They aren't baller HT units but are good for beginner/budget setups.

Now, brand new the HT540 speakers (which I've heard good things about) range in the $200-$300USD range. Which is not bad.

On top of that a local person has an SR606 unit for $330USD (used but in excellent condition + comes with warranty).

My TV is erm, well nothing special; it's a 27" CRT style TV.

Although at some point in time I would invest in an flat screen, right now all I care about is having amplified sound rather than using the TV speakers.

Considering I'm spending ~$500 for a decent receiver+speaker+woofer setup, I don't see why I should spend 1/2 or even 2/3rd less on a used cheapo setup? Or even a simple bookshelf unit.

If I were to spend on this it would last me quite some time, no?

I also thought of the Onkyo HT6200 HTIB units but I've heard mixed reviews on these units.

Thoughts?

2. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

My man. I think the quality of sound is overlooked too often in "home theater" setups. As far as the equipment, it's a pretty solid entry system. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that you're probably early to mid twenties judging from the selection; oh, and single.

Here is the deal. If you are serious about audio - it actually is an investment. Not because you'll resell them, but because sound doesn't change as fast as video (with the exception of receivers). I'd suggest that sytem if you don't feel you're an audiophile - otherwise - hop into a Magnolia Home Theater (select Best Buy's), Ultimate Electronics -> someplace with a demo room and ask for just that, a real demo with high end equipment. It will open your eyes as to what it is YOU WANT. Your question is very subjective. I love my B&W speakers and Denon equipment - my Dad loves his martin logans. My brother loves his 18" CV's. Good luck.

3. Gonrad

Gonrad OT Supporter

I'm single and 30 but I do live with the folks (long story) :hs:

I just have no idea how to select a setup and I figured this was a decent setup. :dunno:

4. OniMinion

You didn't have to answer this.

Again, it's subjective.

5. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

I have those HT540 speakers........garbage! I bought a pair of Best Buy Insignia bookshelf speakers to replace the mains and a Sony W3000 sub to replace the included sub and couldn't be happier.

What size room are you putting this in? Reason I ask is because I had this setup in my living room and it just didn't cut it but now that it's in my room it all of a sudden sounds sufficient.

6. OniMinion

You like the Insignia brand? When I worked at Best Buy I was spoiled by the Magnolia room (which isn't the highest quality either).

7. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

In comparison to the Onkyo speakers that come with that HTIB, the Insignia's own! Night and day difference in clarity over overall sq. I'm just glad I was able to get them for $200 less than what they were advertised in store for thanks to them matching the price for the same product on their website but for $200 less.

8. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I have these Jamo E680 floor standers (http://www.jamo.com/na-en/products/e-680-description/)

And a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...ceivers/PioneerReceivers/ci.VSX-1019AH-K.Kuro)

And I couldn't be happier for the money I have invested.

I am no audiophile but I do know what sounds good and bad. These Jamos offer very clear vocals but the highs aren't overpowering or harsh. The low end isn't awesome but add a sub and you would have a decent system for next to nothing.

EDIT: I got my speakers from http://www.wwstereo.com/ I don't see them listed anymore but they usually run pretty good deals, and if you call them up they will usually cut you a good deal if you buy a couple things from them.

9. DJ Cripsen

DJ Cripsen New Member