Onkyo 605 w/ Sub

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Enigma, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Enigma

Enigma New Member

May 20, 2003
    Hey guys.. I'm a novice to home theater stuff. but am hoping you can help me out here.

I'm trying to hook a sub up to my Onkyo 605. It's just a HTIB sub that a friend was replacing so I snagged it until I buy my own. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure it worked when he gave it to me, but for whatever reason when I plug it in and tell the 605 that I do have a sub I get nothing. If I plug the RCA cable into the sub and then touch the other end of the cable it'll make some noise, but when I plug it into the receiver - nothing. I'm plugging the sub power into the wall and using a RCA type cable to go to the receiver.

Any ideas on what I should be doing to make this thing work? The volume knob on the back of the sub is turned up, so it isn't that. Not sure what else to look at or do.

I'm sure I may have left some important detail out here, so if I did just let me know.

Thanks in advance!

// Edited to add: Upon further review I just read on the internets that most HTIB subs are passive and require an amp and that most AV receivers do not have amps for subs. Sound right? If so, can I pick up a Bic H-100 and be ready to go or will I need something else even then?
  2. David02

David02 Guest

If the sub has a power cord, then it has an on-board amp and should work fine with the receiver.

The Onkyo 605 has automatic speaker calibration called Audessy.
    Plug in the small mic that comes with it, and follow the on screen instructions. After it's done, all your speakers, including the sub should be working...

If it doesn't work, your cable might be bad. Try a different one before getting a new sub.