Ongoing Problem, freezing during games.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VoOdOoVyPeR, Apr 3, 2005.

1. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

i know this is sort of lengthy, but pppppleeeeassseee help, im on my knees here, and i have bad knees

I've had this HP for about 2 years. In the beginning, it used to randomly restart, out of nowhere, could be 5 times a day, once a week, could be doing anything. so i resolved this by going into the services thing and unchecking the things that said "If fail, do this:" and out of the choices was, "restart machine" so i turned all those ones that had to "do nothing". So then my comp started restarting a lot less often. which still annoyed me cuz i made sure, out of all those services, none said "restart machine". but now, it hasnt restarted on me once, not in like 6 months, i have no idea what i did.

now about 5 months back, i bought a video card. a radeon 9600 SE. I know its nothing great, but its what i could afford at the time. the first month or two i had it, the games were running great, no problems. but now i have this one problem. only, ONLY in games, my computer will randomly freeze up. i cant do ctrl alt delete or anything, nothing works at all. so i hafta hold down the power button until the comp turns off. the thing is though, itll only happen in certain games. like i can run NFSU2 and half life 2 and some other games with no problem. But then i go to play act of war, i cant even get past the menus without it freezing. then some games will just freeze randomly. i used to have this demo of a game that i played and it froze within the first minute of me playing it. so i rebooted the machine and tried it again, then it froze after the first 5 minutes. and each time i would keep doing this, it would take longer and longer for it to freeze up.

now my question to you comp connesuirs is this.
    first off, has anybody heard of this problem and know how to fix
    secondly, does anybody know of a key command, like ctrl alt delete, that is like more "advanced" i guess. not like alt+tab for minimize, just anything more complicated.

thanks in advance

2. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

First off, this is a known issue and you are the second poster today to mention it! It's a very easy fix.

Yes, the 9550/9600 series cards that are not made by Gigabyte have a lockup issue with Via chipsets, namely the KT400 series.

AGP cards, when running in 8X speed mode, are supposed to be delivered 0.8v from the motherboard. When running in 4X mode, they are supposed to be given 1.5v.

Unfortunately, KT400 based boards deliver 1.5v in 8X mode, effectively over volting the 9550/9600 series cards a bit. Gigabyte added some extra voltage regulators to remedy this, hence why their cards cost $20 more (People will pay that much to have it working).

The solution:

Go to www.viaarena.com . Download the latest Hyperion drivers and install them.

Enter your BIOS, and set the AGP speed down to 4X. It should NEVER lock up again.

If it still locks up, enable or disable AGP Fast Writes.

If all else fails, swap power supplies. Still not working? Get an nForce based board.

The Chaintech 7NIL1 is currently the best mATX Socket A board out there, and it features the nForce 2 Ultra 400. It's the only mATX board with that chipset around.

I run one personally and it's so fast it's rediculous. Very stable, too.

3. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

well if i turn it down to 4x, wont that effect performance?

4. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Not a bit...I've done it with my 9600XT and I've had no problems. Ditto with my 9700 Pro.

They can't take advantage of all the bandwidth AGP 8X has to offer.

5. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

um, this may be a gay question, in what way do i go about entering my bios. i saw the thing say i cant use the program until i restart so i thought maybe this thing had somethin where u can enter the bios another way. or do i do it the old fashioned way with f8 when i boot up.

btw if u cant tell, i dl'd the Hyperion 4in1 serivce pack driver thing

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  6. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

well i entered the bios at the boot, but there wasnt any option there for agp speed, in all the options.

but there was one thing i noticed that was odd, the primary graphics boot thing was set to pci, and the two options were "AGP/Onboard" or "PCI" is that right seeing as how i have a agp card?

7. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

[​IMG]

it ses 0x41, is that the voltage thing there?

edit: i mean the speed thing, like 4x and 8x

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  8. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

dude i really need fucking help here. haahaha, this is rediculous. after i installed the hyperion drivers, i can no longer open up the catalyst control center for ati. or anything of ati for that matter. when installing hyperion, it gave two checkbox options, if i wanted to install the agp drivers, and thje VIA inf driver. i checked both those. was i just sposed to do the VIA inf one? im so confused right now i think my head is going to explode.

9. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

i also found some things in the localsettings temp folder and theres a .exe file there for hyperion, that does the same thing the ati control center does when i double click it, NOTHING! in dire diarhea need of assistance here

10. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

FreeSpace, where are youuuuuu

11. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Sorry, man, I'm here :big grin:.

You should look under a menu such as Advanced Chipset Options or Advanced Configuration Options.

What model of HP is this?

12. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

i looked under there and theres 4 options. "serial port address" and then i cant remember thje other 3,haahah, but the only choices for them are number combinations.

my model is a HP Pavilion a250n.

13. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

what exactly did downloading the hyperion drivers do anyway?

14. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

freesapace, i think your living in 1920. i just uninstalled hte hyperioin drives and now everything is like, how it shouldve been. with the drives installed, i couldnt access the ati properties, or the hyperion for that matter. now with htem uninstalled, i can fiddle with the SmartGart properties, which allow me to change the agp speed from 8x to 4x, all while on windows, not in my bios.

15. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Wow, Via must lick choads. Well, anyway, your IDE drives will run slower now, but your rig should not freeze.

Oh, and by the way - they must be set to 4X in the BIOS, too.

16. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

my ide drives will run slower?????????????????? meaning my hdd's will run slower as well? what the hell. how much slower are we talking here

With the whole bios thing, i switched it to 4x in the ati properties only, not bios, and the games dont freeze anymore, so i thank you for the agp speed thing.

17. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Yeah, if your load times are worse, download their IDE accelerator driver.

18. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

is it from ati, cuz if it is, then i must already have it cuz i dl'd everything from them so far.