SRS One Year Sober

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pego, Nov 9, 2005.

1. pego

pego New Member

Today (9th November) i am one year sober. When i came into AA last year i knew i had to surrender, i was beaten and sick of being sick. People had always suggested AA to me but i quickly dismissed it as another religious group who talked about God. Before i went to that meeting i had been to one meeting before in 2001 just to get some friends off my back who were concerned about my drinking habits.
    As you can probably guess i was at that meeting for the wrong reasons and didnt listen to anyone. One guy was saying that he even drank cologne. I sat joking with myself about how nice his breath probably smelt. However 12 months ago, i was still feeling what they call "terminally unique" when i went to my first "proper" meeting. I sat and listened to the speaker, i mean i really listened and it was like he was telling my story. Then the meeting was thrown open to the floor and other people started sharing. I was amazed. Men and women were sharing stories that were so familiar to my experience.
    At the end of the meeting, after we said the Serenity prayer they told me to keep coming back. I did, and i have been sober ever since. I have a good sponsor who isnt afraid to speak his mind, and who has also learnt from me as well. I did my third step last month, and will be attempting to make a start on my fourth step shortly. The God stuff came to me gradually. My idea of a higher power is that of a god that works through people. I am in service. This was recommended to me as soon as i had the required sobriety and it has certainly helped me to stay sober.
    So ill finish off now by saying:

Keep Coming Back, It Works!

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Awesome, congratulations on the year sober. Good to hear another success story. Please post in here more often.

3. pego

pego New Member

I would do, but i didnt think anyone was interested. I had a thread about my first conference, and how powerful an experience it was and nobody was interested:wtc:

4. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Sorry, I missed that when it was originally posted. Which is strange, because I rarely miss threads in R2R, being a mod. So, yeah, I posted in it, hopefully a couple other people will follow suit.

5. Phish Esq.

Phish Esq. New Member

good job :coold:

6. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

congrats on one year man!

7. AmCo

AmCo Haters goin' Hate

congrats man

8. Beazy

Beazy 1 Speed is all I need

congrats, takes a real person to find themselves and want to change for the better! keep it up