one word...VIPER!!!!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by jrmy, Dec 24, 2003.

1. jrmy

jrmy Guest

the dodge viper with its v-10,5oohp,525ft-lbs torque > any old ass mustang,...,...,ect.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thinking about getting one the above comes from things i have heard/read/seen...noone take anyy offense to that it just my opinion.
    so anyone got any thoughts about them....

2. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

Two words over rated.

3. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

If you can afford the almost $90k, go for it, I would :)

4. CarlsV6

CarlsV6 Guest

How long did it take you to figure out that one chief? $70k car vs any old ass mustang..... :rolleyes:

5. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

holy shit speak english and organize your thoughts, jesus

6. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

It's a V-10, 8.3 liter and the motor (not the rear wheels) is rated @ 525 hp and 500 lbs of torque.

The car is expensive but some people are willing to pay extra for the looks of the Viper and they just want to spend money and get a stock car with massive amounts of power and a factory warranty. Different cars are built for different people.

I'd sure as heck like one with a supercharger :)

7. Viper 10

Viper 10 Guest

You folks sound like you read too many freaking magazines. Owning a Viper is NOT about magazine spec's, it's about performance and driver skill. If you want bells and whistles like cupholders, vanity mirrors, traction control, and bun warmers then the Viper is NOT for you. In the correct hands, there are very few cars that can outperform a Viper on the track. On the street in terms of practicality and comfort, who in the heck cares about this stuff (with the exception of women and posers)?

I personally don't care for the SRT-10 (especially when my GTS gets 450 RWHP and 490 RWTQ with K&N filters). Obviously my GTS is strong because Arrow Racing had to do a rebuild under warranty, but these cars are true drivers cars that demand your undivided attention. The benefit is that when you do pay attention, respectthe car's power & performance and commit to learning how to drive this car with some track time, it has kick a$$ performance.

In the hands of posers and idiots (who put blowers and NOS on them) they are just as pathetic as any ricer or bling-bling car. The car was designed for driving on road courses, and the engineering attributes really shine on the track. The closest car to the Viper is the 427 AC Cobra from the 1960's, which was also a no frills drivers car.

Just look at how welll the convertible SRT-10 performed against the $150,000 Ford GT. The guys at Chevy and Ford will shut up when the SRT-10 Coupe rolls out with more than 600 HP. I embarrass the heck out of Ferrari 360's on the track and stay right on top of 996 Turbo's. Not bad for an American built car that goes for less than half the price of the others.

Don't bad mouth a car until you've had the opportunity to drive one first hand. Car bigots and magazine whores are a dime a dozen.

8. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

I drove one. And I'll still bad mouth it. For the price...I would pick a Z-06 over it.

But to each there own. I am glad you like Vipers. But I do not think they as 'godlike' as you make them out to be. My Opinion...Z06 owns the Viper in handling.

9. Viper 10

Viper 10 Guest

In your opinion? WTF does that mean? Did I say anything bad about the Z06?

I said nothing about God like worship dickhead. The Z06 is a much more forgiving car that is more comfortable and has lots of pretty bells and whistles. If you put a stock versus stock one against a Viper (with equally skilled drivers) the Z06 cannot touch a Viper on track... and that is fact. I recommend Z06's to many of my friends to buy, and I have many Z06 owning friends that we go to the tracks together.

What do you base your opinion on? How well it does on a freaking onramp or overpass while you are street racing? Don't jump to conclusions and if you ever want to play at the track, then come on out. Until then quit being such a dickhead.

Thanks for the nice welcome. I guess I know the quality of the people in this area of this BB...

By the way, I also own a Vette... you ignorant dickhead!

10. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

I received this PM from Viper 10. He cannot receive PM's back, so ll post it here.

Mr. Viper 10. I never meant to come across as insulting to you. This is a message board over the internet. It is full of opinions. If you read my reply...it says twice that its my OPINION. I even said I am glad you like vipers. Good for you. They must have been better for you then me. Try to not get so pissed at little text typed in a message box over the internet. I never meant to attack you so chill.

Next, I get my opinions from the autocross track. I do not street race and never will. I race my WRX at the auto-x and had the oppurtunity to drive a viper on the course. From my opinion and many others, the Z06 beat the Viper hands down at this autocross. I would be happy to post pics of the track and cars and even my own to prove I am not some street-racing chump. I know my stuff as you may also.

So before you go jumping ahead, acting like a person pissed off at life...think to yourself....maybe this was just his opinion? maybe he wasnt attacking me?

Anyway, Merry chirstmas to you also. But I won't be calling you a asshole.

11. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Wow. Typical elitist Viper owner babble.How surprising.

12. 426Hemi

426Hemi Guest

Why must there always be the attitude between Viper and Vette owners? I for one would love to own either car. They are both great cars in their own right. The Viper is designed more towards "purists" who are willing to forego some creature comforts in lieu of performance. The Vette is for those who wish to have a great performing car and still have their ammenities. As far as the performance goes, the numbers have been run countless times and yes the Viper is better in the performance catagory. This is a fact, and it should not suprise anyone, it is after a more expensive, more purpose built machine. I have to laugh at the people who try the "well I know someone that ran a 11.0 in a stock C5" bit. It dosen't happen.

The Viper is geared more towards the performance with no excuses side, while the Vette is more real world practicality with a serious kick side. Let it rest people, just be thankful that you are in a position to own one of these American Icons.

Lastly, Merry Christmas, and don't forget those whom provide you the security that we all take for granted sometimes.

13. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Vipers rock.

I wouldn't kick one out of the driveway.

14. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sorry but after attending one lap, silver state, and numerous other races were the Vette and Viper are pitted against one another, I can tell you the Viper is not the superior performance car. It does accelerate faster off the line, but after a few laps the Vettes start pulling them in, thanks to better handling, balence, and more predictable breaking. Any track official at Summit Point will tell you that in spite of being at nearly 100hp disadvantage, the Zo6 Vette still manages to best the Vipers most of the time.
    Also to say that the Viper is more of a "purest" car, because it lacks basic amenaties, is nothing but pure bullshit. Even the Mosler 900t comes with AC and a stereo, (except in the Photon) and thats as "purest" as they get.
    I'll give the Viper this, it's definatly a good looking car, and unlike most euro exotic cars, it's not a cream puff that breaks down and needs constant maintenance. You can actualy race this thing and drive it like it's supposed to be driven, without fear of having to pay out the ass for a valve job later. I've seen so many times were somebody in a Ferrari or Lambo, comes to the track acting cocky, and they get their ass handed to them by Vipers, Porches and Vettes.

15. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Yeah

My mom has an '00 Viper RT/10, and my stepdad has a 6 month old 427 Cobra S/C. I looooooove them both. And I'll get them in their wills. But yeah, the Viper is an unruly, raw beast. It takes good driving skills to race one, unlike some POS LS1 car or a Mustang that handles like a Caddy. As to the price issue, you can get your hands on a '92 RT/10 for a bargain at 40-50k. And while the Ford GT is a 'better' car than the Viper, it costs about twice as much. Dodge > Ford. Actually, Anyone > Ford.

16. MAD PUNK inDC

get to the track much? I'm willing to bet that with me behind the wheel of a Caddy, I could stil lap your ass in an RT-10 Viper. This just based off your dribble you just posted.

17. 426Hemi

426Hemi Guest

Last time I checked the Viper has AC and a stereo. I was speaking more of the lack of sound deadening (sp) material, the fact that the ride isn't as supple as the Vette. Basically it gives no excuses for what it is. While you may have different experiences with the race results, most of what I have seen published has been to the contrary of what you say. I think that given equal driver talent the Viper is faster all around. Track, 0-60, 1/4 mile, 0-150-0 ect ect. And don't call my comments "bullshit" if you have nothing to back it up. The Viper is more of a purist car. None of the electronic nannies that the Vette has, hell it just has recently had ABS installed. It is the modern day 427 Shelby Cobra. I suppose that you will say that isnt a purist car either? Once again, I would LOVE to own either car. I love them both and am proud that these 2 American cars have handed almost everyone else on the planet their ass in a basket.

For a good comparison follow this link.
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0211_vv/index.html

Merry Christmas everyone.

18. MAD PUNK inDC

Well I wouldn't know because I've NEVER been to any races, nor driven either car! :rolleyes:

And no the Viper isn't even close to a modern version of the AC Cobra. If anything Mosler MT900, or Ultima GTR are alot closer to the concept of the AC Cobra, hell even the Miata has more in commen. The Viper was ment to take a shot at Corvettes, yes they do 0-150 faster, but what makes a car good for racing is more than just power, it's about the right balence of power, braking, and handling. It's also about how well the engine performs under it's peak. Comparing dynos of the Viper V10, and the LS6 is pretty telling.
    Finaly I make my observations based on eye witness, not magasines. I've been racing since I was in highschool, so I remember when the Viper came out. The only domestic car out there that gave it any compitition was the ZR1, wich didn't find it's way into many races around here. However when the C5 came out, things started to change, and after the Zo6, it was over for the Vipers at the tracks (summit point, and VIR, are just couple I frequent), it became a Porsche Vette field.
    Another thing that telling about the Viper. Look at tire sizes between it, the Vette, and the 911. Notice that the Vipers tire width is much larger than the others. While tire width isn't everything, it does make a differance. Just imagine what a Viper would feel like on a set of 295mm tires? Now Imagine if tire width was regulated in compitition? See were I'm going with this. I'm not saying the Viper isn't a good car, nor would I turn one down if I could afford it, but for christ sake it's far from being unbeatable.
    I can't remember who said it, think it was in C&D (somebody check) but this is something thats stuck in my head for the last couple of years. When asked this person said "I love to drive my Viper, especialy on the street, but I race my Corvette, it's simply a better car for the track"

19. urmama

urmama Uh Burrito? OT Supporter

how long did it take u to figure that out einstein. ur comparing an 03 viper with an "old ass mustang"

however for the price of the viper, u can fix up an "old ass mustang" to run 11's, 10's, 9's, 8's, even 7's and still have money for a to buy vette and add a sc to own a viper on a track course.

im not trying to hate on vipers, i think their awesome, ur just not being fair in ur comparison. :fawk:

20. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

i am calling BS on this whole thread :ugh:
    :bsflag:

21. Slappy3243

Slappy3243 Ello?

Its more like a minimum of $35,000 difference in price.

22. 426Hemi

426Hemi Guest

Well for that extra price, should you decide to pay it, gets you somthing that a vette will never get you.....exclusivity, stares, thumbs up, and mucho panties. But there are some that don't want that kinda attention. I love both cars and would be proud to own either one, but the Viper (specifically the GTS) look sooo much better than a Vette.

23. MAD PUNK inDC

looks are subjective, and anybody that needs a hot car to get ass, is pretty sorry. Something the Vette has that the Viper never will, 50 years of history, and it's extensive record of winning races. Not taking away from what the Viper has, but there are two sides to every coin.

24. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

I don't know about that. I get many a thumbs up and "nice car"'s in my Vette as I drive around, and I am decently sure that my Vette is rarer then most of the Vipers out there. And for the mucho panties....Im not that desperate.

There is also one thing the Viper will never have. The 50 year legacy that makes the Vette what it is today. An American Icon.