One Week deep trying to to lose weight...How is my diet?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Johnny Burners, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Burners

Johnny Burners Indeed...

Here is how I have been eating the past week. The The diet is almost exactly the same every day, only minor adjustments made here and there. I am 5' 11" and started weighing 195. In the past week, I have lost 4 pounds. I have not yet begun lifting, but I ran 4 days this past week for 3.5 miles each day. As it stands now, where can I improve? What kind of weightlifting should I be looking to do this week?

September 5

Breakfast:1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 cup egg whites with salsa for topping
    banana

Snack: Musclemilk protein shake

Lunch: 1 can tuna sandwich with lowfat mayo, lettuce, tomato, on 12 grain bread. Apple.

Snack: Protein bar

Dinner: 2 chicken breasts with assorted vegetables

Snack: protein shake.

Calories 1764 Fat 33 Carbs 216 Protein 165

So, I have been fluctuating between 1700 and 1900 calories. What am I doing right/wrong?

2. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

More fat, less carbs. Drop the bread on lunch and maybe eat some sort of fish and veggies instead. I don't think your cals should be this low right at the beginning, your metabolism will go down too fast. You should be losing weight at 2000-2100 cals and maybe go lower when the weight stops going down.

3. Johnny Burners

Johnny Burners Indeed...

Really? More fat? I have been so scared to mess up that I haven't allowed myself ONE cheat meal. I worry about everything I eat and how it rates on the statistics side. I really didn't think I was taking in a lot of carbs. What kind of fat is ok?

4. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

you want to stay away from trans fat all together, and very low in saturated fat. your sources of saturated fat should come from lean meats like sirloin, chicken breast, and fish.

5. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

Protein is exellent
    Fat is good
    Carbs are tricky/bad

IMO you're poised to fail horribly. You're cutting way too much way too fast, and not alowing yourself a cheat day will make it much harder on you too. Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint, if you want to lose weight and keep it off, it's a lifetime dedication. Let your body adjust slowly, cutting a little here and there for the first few weeks will help ease you into a real dedicated eating habit. I promise you will have terrible hunger pains at 1700 cals a way if you are 5'11 195lbs. You should shoot for about 2500, maintance for you should be around 3000, assuming you're not a total couch potato.

6. Johnny Burners

Johnny Burners Indeed...

Thank you so much. Looking at my diet, where and what can I add to increase calories? If one were to look at me, I look slim with clothes on, but I have layers of fat I am trying to burn off. I feel like if I put jelly on my toast,cheese in my sandwich, or kethcup on my chicken I am going to render my cardio efforts pointless. I have gotten to a point where I am scared of food.

7. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

scared of food is no way to live life

8. Johnny Burners

Johnny Burners Indeed...

Only because I think bad foods = bad and that's that. I don't think in terms of quantity or moderation. I really feel like if I eat a salad with dressing on it all my work is for nothing.

9. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

So you when cheat, you tend to binge pretty hard I'm assuming?

10. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

:hyper:

i do i do

:wtc:

11. Johnny Burners

Johnny Burners Indeed...

Actually no, I just don't cheat. I wouldn't know what "safe" cheating would be, so I just don't do it.

12. armond

armond New Member

Cheat days are for you to reward yourself. If you feel bad about eating what you want all day, at least do it for a meal or two on your cheat days. Remember, this is rewarding you and getting you off of the monotony of that clean diet.

13. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

my cheating occurs from large amounts of alcohol with some type of fried food at 3am typically on friday and saturday nights.

this is why i'm still fat after a year of lifting :hs:

14. fucter

fucter crappy speller

oatmeal + egg whites + salsa?
    that sounds gross

15. Voltekker

Voltekker Active Member

seperate im assuming.

Im doing the clean diet thing now but ive done what your doing before and i crashed hard. This is third time i find myself seriosuly losing wieght the first time i did it, i did what you are doing now but i gave my self one day during the week to "cheat" and id watch what i ate on saturday and sunday i had dinner. I went from 230 to 185 ( im 5'9 - 5''8 ) Then i was in a car accident blah blah got it back. I started dieting with no cheat days real hard core because i wanted to be back where i was at. I crashed hard and now im here at 235.

Heres what im doing now which i should have done the second time around. Sunday i cook for the whole week. I make an assload of chicken and a little rice. For each day of the week i have a small tupper wear one cup of chicken and half a cup of rice. Thats lunch 4 days a week. Breakfast cereal and some milk and for dinner ill have somthing like subway or somthing.

Somtime during the week i have somthing for lunch that i want and i go real easy on dinner. So far i feel great and its working. I think the most important thing is dont calorie count so much its gonna make you nuts, just eat smaller portions and healthier meals.

16. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Look at the diet stickie, maybe it's in the archives, there's a list of food there. Gaining weight and losing weight is all about the same foods, all that matters is the amount.
    Some studies have shown that omega-3 fats (from fish oil, fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, etc) PROMOTE weight loss and fat burning. Carbs are just energy will fat/protein have lots of metabolic functions so it's better to get a bit more carbs and fat especially in a caloric deficit.
    I always feel shitty when I don't get enough carbs though so the next time I'll be trying to lose weight, if I have to go under 150-200g of carbs I'll probably go for a ketogenic diet. I dunno how your body reacts though, it's going to be yours to see.

17. kumar_a

kumar_a Well-Known Member

:werd:

except thursday night also for me

if i could give up drinking and ihop/whataburger afterwards, it would be easy

18. Echilon

Echilon Reichsführer

All your dieting efforts, then you end up after two years weighing more than when you started. Makes me wonder if it's really worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.