One thing that annoys me about Apple

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Mar 3, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Not having a mid-range PC that isn't an all-in-one. I think the iMac is slick as hell, but it drives me crazy how wasteful it is. In this era of companies and individuals trying to be all "green," it is kind of screwed up that they force all mid-range computer buyers, really the bulk of the market, into throwing out a perfectly good monitor when the computer is outdated (or having to throw out a perfectly good PC when the monitor takes a shit).

I'd love to buy a Mac, but the Mini is just not powerful enough (I'd like to be able to play WoW on it occasionally). The Mac Pro is just way overkill. Something with the iMac horsepower would be fine for me, but no, Apple does not offer any standalone PCs at the mid-range. Grr.

2. Budha

Budha Guest

I think it would f up their product line... The mini is for non multimedia work, just basic shit, and then you have the imac that can handle a lot, but its stuck w/ a monitor, and then you have the mac pro that is def overkill lol...

I know there are Dell Hackintoshes though.

3. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

I like the way it is right now..... :dunno:

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've been saying this for years. however, since the mac mini has become c2d, it has beefed up, but everyone still complains about the integrated video.

i guess you could buy a macbook pro and plug it in...

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

that gap used to be filled by entry-level pro machines like the older PowerMac G4s that started at $1599. They were cheaper towers (slower CPUs, less cache, etc.), but you could still upgrade down the line if you wanted to. Apple doesn't seem to believe in that anymore, and yeah it pisses me off too :mad:

6. FEELSGOODMEN

FEELSGOODMEN New Member

you said you play wow.

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

that's the problem though. the mac pros just don't make sense for home users. those mac pros only make sense if you are doing some intensive stuff like video encoding. it isn't like you are going to be playing games on it much. i could see it for the graphics professionals out there.

i guess i understand though. the people who want a more modular system where you can add drives, upgrade your video card and shit like that are forced up to the Mac Pro. they would probably lose all of those people if they went with a mid-range, non all-in-one design.

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

No, think of it this way: by not offering this midrange machine, Apple is not selling to a lot of people that instead own Dell Hackintoshes right now.

9. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Apple hasn't really had a middle of the road machine since the Performa days. They haven't had a middle of the road machine since Steve Jobs came back.

10. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

They need a mini-tower with iMac like specs

11. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

Yes they have, I bought one in 2001. Even the entry-level G5s were reasonable for a pro tower, but since the switch to Intel, Apple doesn't seem to give a fuck. I think they're losing out on a substantial market, especially since it would cost them dick to release a lower spec (but upgradeable) machine in the same form factor.

12. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

G5s didn't come out til 2003 and they still cost $1999 for the cheapest one which is a bit more then a mid-level machine at the time. The cheapest G4 tower offered was $1499 but before that you really did have to go back to Performa days or like the PowerMac 7300. I'm not saying that I don't think Apple should do it or isn't losing out on what could be a big market for them, just that it's been a long time since they had a middle-range machine that was expandable.

13. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

BS, dude. The Blue & White G3s, Beige G3s and all of the PCI PowerMac series had midrange desktop-style and tower-style machines that were upgradeable. Even the beige desktops had modest expansion space, including additional drives, 2-3 PCI slots and RAM. I have a 233 MHz desktop-style G3 in front of me now with 3 available PCI slots, a "personality card" slot with video capture option, and two spare SCSI / IDE drive bays.

That is what a lot of people want Apple to bring back, and frankly it's a dick move to cut out that segment so they can gouge people on workstation-class hardware they don't need. My point is that Apple had offered "prosumer" class computers for a long time, and only recently have they been pulled, if only to inflate profit margins IMO.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  14. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

That is what I was forced to do. Mini was just too choppy for Expose, etc.

15. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I guess it really depends on what we consider to be midrange. If you consider $1999 for a machine with no monitor to be midrange then yes they have been offered more recently. You seem to think that everything Apple does is fueled by intentionally looking to fuck people over or make them pay more. Maybe they don't really see a value in a midrange machine and believe that if the $1499 iMac isn't enough for you then you can spend the extra money and get the $2399 Mac Pro.

16. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Apple could hugely increase their user base with a more powerful mac mini. It would be like an iMac without the display. Maybe offer up a 2.4ghz C2D and 2GB of memory and dedicated graphics.

The way I see it, an existing PC user would be the sort of person to buy one as an iMac includes a display and would be inpractical for someone to use in conjunction with their PC.

I'd want to use a single display and use a KVM to swtich between my PC and Mac.

They'd be onto a winner with that I reckon.

Edit: Oh just saw this...

17. RumMunkey

RumMunkey New Member

Perhaps its time has finally come?
    [​IMG]

;)

18. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i always wanted a cube

19. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

:werd: Nice machine. Couple friends had them. Upgraded them to dual 1.5GHz. It wasn't as upgradeable as it sound like people here are wanting but you could put in a new graphics card.

20. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I had a cube before :coold:

21. JKwikkel

JKwikkel Active Member

Damn, that was a beautiful machine.

22. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i don't even care for upgradeability outside of memory and video card. these days that is all that matters. how about a slightly larger mini with a pci-express slot and the ability to hold 4Gb of memory (since it is still cool to be able to run vmware)? and no built in monitor! god, what a waste.

23. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Cubes ftmfw.

24. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

no, i mean the monitor that is built into the iMac. sure, i could keep my old monitor for whatever, but once i'm done with the iMac i can't take that built-in monitor and hook it up to a new Mac or whatever. let's just say i have an iMac for 2 years and the system board shorts out for some reason. now i have a monitor that is fused to a dead iMac that probably isn't worth fixing. so, you have to throw away the monitor because it is useless.
    say i have an iMac for 2 years and the monitor burns out. now the system itself is pretty shot.

25. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

I want a c2duo system that uses the powermac g5 case.