One thing I never liked about macs is...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Yardsale, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

the fact that we have to select a drive and eject it or risk losing data :wtc:

to my understating, windoze doesn't require this :sad2:

2. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Windows doesn't usually require it, but don't unplug something that's being accessed.

Also it depends on the device, some are picky about it. For the most part I've never had trouble with it. It's a good thing to be in the habit of doing at least, because otherwise you could unplug something while it's being accessed and piss the system off. Of course I have an external hard drive (3+ yr old Lacie) that sometimes fights with my desktop and won't let me "safely remove" it so I just hit the power button on the drive when it's spun down and put up with the couple alerts windows throws at you about an improperly removed device.

3. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

Any UNIX boxen have to unmount filesystems as well.

4. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I've only had problems once when i ejected without hitting eject, and that was on an old iPod and I lost the new music I put on, but the old was still there.

5. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Windows always throws a fit when I unplug an external drive. It tells me to use the "unplugg/eject" feature.

Both let you just right-click and hit "eject" so it's no big deal.

6. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

or click it once and apple+E

7. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

yeah it's just the fact that I forget to eject often. :sad2:

this really kicks my ass when I'm using my external drive or when I have a card reader and got through dumping images and forget to eject :uh:

8. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

Eh, I often unplug things without ejecting. Never had a problem at all. Now I don't do it mid transfer or anything, but w/e.

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

you must not have windows xp pro...or you don't have the following enabled:
    [​IMG]

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

weird, i've never had any of these issues mentioned. and i've unplugged drives without ejecting first many times...:dunno:

11. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Nope, we use Win2k here at work. Is it a feature in that?

Maybe the error is caused by Spotlight constantly keeping an eye on it. Adding the device to be ignored by Spotlight might stop it from happening?

12. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

oooh, if that works thatd help me greatly with my careless device removals :o

13. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

I don't think Win2K has that functionality. I know WinXP does because I use it on my removable drives.

14. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

the usb cable to my ipod nano is fucked up so everytime I touch it while it's plugged in to my ibook I get that damn annoying 'device removal' message... haven't lost any data yet, thankfully it's backed up on 3 pcs :hsd:

15. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

can you guys tell me how to get spotlight to stop indexing? i hope that fixes it :x:

16. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Um, XP does the same thing.

17. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

Not on my version of XP. I can remove flash drives all day without ejecting without a complaint.

I have a habit of left clicking on the icon in the taskbar and ejecting it though, I've lost data a couple times w/o that.

2K does not support hot-unplugging.

18. Skoles

Skoles Guest

In the Preference Pane there is a panel for Spotlight (also hitting Apple-Spacebar brings up the shortcut and the settings option). You can just drag the items you want it to ignore into the ignore section.

There is also an option to kill it altogether, but I forget the Terminal command.

19. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Nope.

20. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

Similar to an end user, but not the same from a technical standpoint.

WinXP needs removable drives ejected because Windows typically makes use of write-behind caching to give the appearance of improved performance (instead of actually writing some things to disk immediately, it'll do it shortly thereafter when the system is less busy). If a disk is removed and there is still information that hasn't been written to it, you will corrupt that data. By setting a removable disk to "Optimize for Quick Removal", you're actually disabling write-behind caching for that disk.

When a new disk is attached to a computer running any *nix OS (such as OS X), the disk is mounted to the file system. OS X is nice enough to automatically detect the new drive attached and mount it for us. Other *nix's aren't and an operator will have to manually mount the disk. Typically the mount is something like /dev/ide0d01s01, /dev/scsi0d02s02 or /dev/cdrom0. *nix OSes use a single, overarching file system so all the disks are combined into one file system as opposed to Windows which uses a different file system for each disk connected to a computer (think drive letters). In order to remove a disk from the file system, it must be unmounted to remove it from the file system.

When I was first learning Unix (my office is a big Solaris shop, so I've got a fair amount of SVR4 experience these days), it was hard as hell for me to break free of the Windows way of managing disks and get comfortable with the Unix method.

21. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

in for killing it all together command :x:

22. Skoles

Skoles Guest

modify /etc/hostconfig to read: SPOTLIGHT=-NO- Then to get rid of the existing index, run these two commands from Terminal:
    mdutil -i off /
    mdutil -E /
    The first command disables indexing on the boot volume, and the second erases the existing template. You can then use Activity Monitor to kill any mds or mdimport processes or else just reboot. Futzing with permissions will probably break OS updates that try to update files in the zeroed-out directories and of course won't survive a repair-permissions run. If you later change your mind and decide you want Spotlight after all, it's easy to reactivate. Set
    SPOTLIGHT=-YES- in /etc/hostconfig, run in Terminal: mdutil -i on /and reboot.

23. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

^
    :bowdown:

one concern, so when I apply updates there's a likelihood it'll mess up because of the emptied directories? :noes:

24. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I honestly couldn't say. I haven't tried it since I use Spotlight alot.

It's a designers godsend.

25. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

yeah spotlight is awesome for finding files quickly, I just can't risk losing data because of my carelessness :o :Ownedd: