one step v.pads?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Morgan06, May 30, 2008.

1. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Just ordered some Optimum PoliSeal and Poorboy's Polish w/ Sealant. Going to try both out before I get my hands on the new Meguiars product.

Traditionally I've just used a foam compound pad with one steps, either wht/yel or grey finish depending on the paint.

If I invest in one of the LC blu/red pads, will it result in a higher gloss? I'd gladly sacrifice some correction for more depth.

Would also like to play down the one step's ability in removing defects. Some customers are unsure which package they want (one step vs 2/3 steps) and want a side by side test panel. If I can make it easier convincing them of the more expensive option- it'd help. ;)

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You can use an orange cutting pad with Poli-Seal and a PC or UDM with excellent results on all but soft paint.

3. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Neglected to mention this would be used with my rotary- no DA for me yet. Still waiting on the right clients to put one to use, and until they make an appointment I won't invest in one.

I've got 3M white foam pads- I'd imagine they're comparable to LC orange?

Side Note: I'm working on picking up just the right client for a UDM/PC. Guy owns a local/large ice cream plant, has 5 vehicles in the 75K range and they are ALWAYS clean. :x:

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Actually, if you need more cut go to foamed wool pads instead of cutting pads. IMO, the cutting pads leave too much marring/hazing when used with a rotary. Foamed wool leaves minimal holograms that are easily removed.

When I one step with the rotary, I use Poli-Seal and a blue Propel polishing pad (which feels closer to a finishing pad) on softer paints and with a Meguiars yellow polishing pad on harder paints.

5. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Amen to that. Only issue I have with foamed wool is that they bind up quick.